P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Blasphemy & Ross Bay Cult Worship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 59, 60, 61  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindsOfApocalypse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inverto Crosso wrote:
Blaspehmy review from Blackthorn issue 8/1989:

WORSEthan Sodom 1984. Immediately stop reading. What a fucking retard.
Zombie Dance

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindsOfApocalypse wrote:
Inverto Crosso wrote:

The guy's not a retard, he's one of the most important zine editor of 80ies. These guys had a strange love/hate relationship with Extreme Metal, they mostly saw the uprising of the "satanic" childish trend. They were very much into Slayer, Nasty Savage and Mercyful Fate but kept on receiving terribly recorded demo like the Semen of Satan, Poison etc. You have to understand it in its context, though you can be sure Blackthorn had a huge inlfuence on extreme Metal and many youngsters discovered Bathory, Sodom, Sepultura or Vulcano thanks to these guys. In the late 89, they were completely fed up with all the so called "Black Metal" like Satan's Massacre, and they pretty much put Blasphemy in the same basket...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwnrew5cQd0
translucent_nick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inverto Crosso wrote:

All I know and I keep from this historical-now review is this phrase :

" This is truly black Skullfucking total death metal "

You have to remember this was time that the general theory was that the most bands in the early 80's were arriving with having satanic lyrics, satanic imagery with inverted crosses, leather, spikes etc. and CRUDE playing, but then the general tense for the bands were to get "mature" Laughing - and to leaving the satanic imagery and lyrics aside, getting better as musicians, and starting to write *social* lyrics
- that damned "master of puppets" did a lot damage, changing the game Laughing

All these were true for bands like Sodom (though the motherfucking "agent orange" is one of my favorite records of all ages), Kreator, Destruction, Onslaught, even for Running Wild !!!

My guess is that this "complex" was the exact main reason for the "epic/viking" turn of Bathory in 1988 - though the guy was more stubborn than the journalists of the time would think.

So I guess those 'zine guys were freaking out seeing bands like Blasphemy emerging as an anachronism.
"Altars Of Madness" would change their mind too, and you know the rest.
"What's with the girly screams? We are not The Beatles" - Black Winds / “The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche. / STOP USING PVC PROTECTING SLEEVES ON YOUR VINYL ALBUMS

Last edited by translucent_nick on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Tireheb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLASPEHMY typo rules.

LAMENTATION "Grabens Symphonie" 2CD OUT NOW!
translucent_nick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tireheb wrote:
BLASPEHMY typo rules.

haha yes - dyslexic 'zine editor ?

Here's DeathLord's recipe contribution on Annick Giroux's "Hellbent for Cooking" book.
I would like to try to making this (and more recipes from the book), but I'm not owning the book yet.

"What's with the girly screams? We are not The Beatles" - Black Winds / “The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche. / STOP USING PVC PROTECTING SLEEVES ON YOUR VINYL ALBUMS
WindsOfApocalypse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie Dance wrote:
WindsOfApocalypse wrote:
Inverto Crosso wrote:

The guy's not a retard, he's one of the most important zine editor of 80ies. These guys had a strange love/hate relationship with Extreme Metal, they mostly saw the uprising of the "satanic" childish trend. They were very much into Slayer, Nasty Savage and Mercyful Fate but kept on receiving terribly recorded demo like the Semen of Satan, Poison etc. You have to understand it in its context, though you can be sure Blackthorn had a huge inlfuence on extreme Metal and many youngsters discovered Bathory, Sodom, Sepultura or Vulcano thanks to these guys. In the late 89, they were completely fed up with all the so called "Black Metal" like Satan's Massacre, and they pretty much put Blasphemy in the same basket...

I remember this zine from way back because it was still easy to get these xerox'd from tape traders when I got into underground stuff in the mid-90s. Not this specific issue, but the zine itself. I had one issue but this was so long ago, I can't tell which.

In the bigger picture, you're 100% right and I'm wrong, but I'm just responding to this one review and the wholesale idiocy from the typical mocking tone, Sodom comment to 'oh no there's a COLORED fellow in the band'. This review is fucking retarded the way I see it...not that fan zines back in the day weren't full of this type of uninformative nonsense of course.
King of Misery

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackthorn also hated Cryptic Slaughter, Intense Mutilation and that sort of stuff. What he called "speed for the sake of speed".
Zombie Dance

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindsOfApocalypse wrote:
Zombie Dance wrote:
WindsOfApocalypse wrote:
Inverto Crosso wrote:

I remember this zine from way back because it was still easy to get these xerox'd from tape traders when I got into underground stuff in the mid-90s. Not this specific issue, but the zine itself. I had one issue but this was so long ago, I can't tell which.

In the bigger picture, you're 100% right and I'm wrong, but I'm just responding to this one review and the wholesale idiocy from the typical mocking tone, Sodom comment to 'oh no there's a COLORED fellow in the band'. This review is fucking retarded the way I see it...not that fan zines back in the day weren't full of this type of uninformative nonsense of course.

Haha Yes I actually agree that the review in itslef is pretty retarded, though what is weird is that Blackthron were one of the only mag to always feature bands like Blasphemy and 80ies satanic Metal. They could have just ignored all the tapes they received, but somehow they always ended making promotion for these bands nonetheless, the review here still gives the band a big picture, they name the price and adress and somehow they knew that they had a large amount of readers that would be interrested in this kind of band. I still don't really know what to make of this guys today honestly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwnrew5cQd0
WindsOfApocalypse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie Dance wrote:
WindsOfApocalypse wrote:
Zombie Dance wrote:
WindsOfApocalypse wrote:
Inverto Crosso wrote:

Haha Yes I actually agree that the review in itslef is pretty retarded, though what is weird is that Blackthron were one of the only mag to always feature bands like Blasphemy and 80ies satanic Metal. They could have just ignored all the tapes they received, but somehow they always ended making promotion for these bands nonetheless, the review here still gives the band a big picture, they name the price and adress and somehow they knew that they had a large amount of readers that would be interrested in this kind of band. I still don't really know what to make of this guys today honestly.

I'd also like to point out that THIS is what he considered a better and more acceptable style of band photo instead:

DSS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie Dance wrote:

It's the only way to be. If you write a zine and you get free stuff to review the least you can do is review it. And review it honestly. I'm sure readers who were into Bathory and Sodom bought that tape. At least some of them. Even a negative review is some kind of exposure.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inverto Crosso wrote:

Quote:
face painted 1983 outfitted evil photo posing satanic named extremely full speed ahead death metal bands

Can anyone give an example of a band like this?

Even by 1989 they were already poking fun at it.

passetiermes wrote:
My advice is this: take a vacation from metal, there's more to life than that.
sloughfegkillers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^That pic looks as thought it was taken the same day as the one where they’re on the golf course? Looking like they’re looking for treasure down some go,f hole.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like the marketing angle of that review reading like this "terrible band terrible music its awful etc etc ...buy here for $7' haha

Its almost like a negative rant on something works to promote the band rather than dissuade interested parties looking for something.

People in black metal (or metal in general to some degree) want to be 'lone wolves' ...or different and take to liking what others do not in some fashion or design to showcase their defiance to average or regular common people. Look how I am not like you, you who listens to melodies and verse/chorus/verse, I listen to this harsh and brutal relentless noise cause this is how I am inside etc etc (one can see this very aspect at work on the modern limited ultra raw releases that only 50 fans or so get to own)

I wonder how much reviews like that actually helped forge the cult status as young angry metal fans took to the brutality of the music identifying with that part of it which so many others would not take interest in.
Tezcat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

translucent_nick wrote:
Mysticus wrote:
Mystifier vs. Blasphemy Cool

This is a great photo - I got to ask Beelzeebubth (God) who won - and I hope he's gonna tell me the truth. Laughing

Sent a message to Beelzeebubth asking him who won. The answer was: "Caller" Smile
Underground Metal Webzine
Interviews, Reviews, Articles and Chronicles
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caller of the Storms after all is a truck driver. He has a arm pull up machine built in the truck too. So when he is driving he can do constant one arm pull ups with the weight stack built between the two seats.

BIC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 48 of 61

Jump to: