P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Creative age for writing music.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HerrTreblinka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Creative age for writing music. Reply with quote

Most underground bands have their creative peak when their members are in their late teens up to their early 20's, though some start later on too (though rarely later than their early 30's). Given the inflation of bands of questionable value, do you think that people in their middle-late 20's (or early 30's) - or anyone else, for that matter - should start bands? In partular newbies and rookies who weren't previously in other bands.

Constructive arguments for or against are very much welcome.

Last edited by HerrTreblinka on Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Token

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found your question a bit vague.

Sure. Different constellations are being put together all the time, thats no biggie knowing that they consist of already 'cooked' musicians. However, if people in their late 20's or early 30's picks up an instrument for the first time is harder to answer.
rthdx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of most BM classics, they were recorded by kids/teens (14-18 y.o.) when they probably haven't got laid yet, but then with coming of the bright insight that they should become rock stars in order to gain some pussy the bands have started to turn crap. Very Happy Maybe hyperbolically formulated, but still most popular scenario in fact. Smile
youtube
discogs
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids are pissed off, fearless and out to prove something.

Adults have bills, children, pressures of their job and the daily grind.
Deathwish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is already far too many bands.
If anything about a million bands should just die...
999.999 of them black metal

Cool
The third of the storms

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:
Kids are pissed off, fearless and out to prove something.

Adults have bills, children, pressures of their job and the daily grind.

This. It's not that adults have less imagination or lose their skill, either their interest stops or they got something else that takes their free time.
holy ghost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of those revered records made by “late-teens-early-twenties” young people were in the 80’s and 90’s which is fine and sure whatever harnesses a “youthful energy and raw take on music to create something unique” but you’re not factoring in that most kids nowadays were born into the age of the internet from day one and grew up snapchatting and facebooking and can download a terabyte with of kvlt records in an hour.

Those kids making those classic records were a lot different than the kids of today. I’d rather listen to a record made by someone with “life experience” than some kid who was an emo last year and is suddenly down with Blood Incantation.

Also it shouldn’t really matter when you start making music. Y’all 30 and want to start shredding? Cool with me just don’t be a fucking d-bag....
the5thcolumn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic here. I dont think there's any issue with a drummer or vocalist starting a band after their early 30s. But I'll focus my reply on actual song-writters.

No - I dont think that people over 30 should refrain from starting their first band. A good musician is a good musician. If someone in their early 30s, or even 20 years older, has been writing music for years and has never had the means to start a band and record music until now, go for it. There might be some creative issues involved with someone in their 40s or 50s picking up a stringed instrument for the first time in their life expecting to start a band.

If someone has their own music stuck in their head and they want to finally play and release it, it shouldn't matter what age they are. From there, it's up to us to decide if it's terrible or not Laughing
Desolatio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the style really. Primitive and evil Death Metal is hard for adults because they need to tap into an energy vastly available to teenagers. But Altar of Perversion spawned Intra Naos in the age of maturity; I doubt that whoever is behind Irkallian Oracle is younger than 20. Malign as of 2015 was still killer. I think that people doing this just for hobby are more keen on jumping out before their mid 20s or 30s, the others make it a lifelong adventure. Teitanblood is another excellent example.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vomitor is a good example. Those guys in well in their late 30-40's and churning out some of the most angst ridden metal that teenagers can only think of making. I think it just depends on if the spirit is in you or not. Look at Penatcle, as well. Pure energy!
axebix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:
Vomitor is a good example. Those guys in well in their late 30-40's and churning out some of the most angst ridden metal that teenagers can only think of making. I think it just depends on if the spirit is in you or not. Look at Penatcle, as well. Pure energy!

Holy shit, I basically clicked just to say Vomitor. And I agree, of course.
SilenceEater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not metal but my favorite blues artists, Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf were in their 40's when they were first "discovered." That's when their careers began! I'm sure I'll get shit but Peter Steele was in his early 30's when he started Type O and even though it's no where near as kvlt as Carnivore I loved all their albums up until the end. My favorite Judas Priest album is Painkiller and they were all over 40 years old when they put that album out. I don't think anything they released prior had anywhere near the same level of intensity as that record.
stenchofburningdeath

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of great releases by folks older than 30, see Antediluvian, DC, portal, MA and others.

If you're serious with your craft and experienced I can't see why it couldn't work. Though I wouldn't expect much of someone of that age who just picked up an instrument for the first time as it takes years to get sufficient skills.
Lord Frieza

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenchofburningdeath wrote:
Plenty of great releases by folks older than 30, see Antediluvian, DC, portal, MA and others.

If you're serious with your craft and experienced I can't see why it couldn't work. Though I wouldn't expect much of someone of that age who just picked up an instrument for the first time as it takes years to get sufficient skills.

It isn't common for anyone over 30 picking up music for the first time to actually be serious. These passions are ignited at a young age. You're either born with it or you're not.
raskolnikhilov

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy ghost wrote:
Most of those revered records made by “late-teens-early-twenties” young people were in the 80’s and 90’s which is fine and sure whatever harnesses a “youthful energy and raw take on music to create something unique” but you’re not factoring in that most kids nowadays were born into the age of the internet from day one and grew up snapchatting and facebooking and can download a terabyte with of kvlt records in an hour.

I couldn't have said it better myself, this is especially true of the BM and the newer Black/Death bands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: