P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Cultes des Ghoules SINISTER or Treading the Darker Paths, LP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vapula

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by Vapula on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Sinvocation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listened to the whole thing. Quite the album. It's eclectic and strange, with all the peculiar ghastly charm you could only get from CdG. It has a good balance between immediacy and ambience, with a great synthesis of chunky riffs against a malignant, sepulchral atmosphere. I'm probably using the lamest descriptors ever to try and verbally express this band's darkness, but you get what I mean. Definitely less sophisticated than Coven, which - while I think it's the band's masterpiece- I wasn't hoping for a part two to.

Honestly, I think this is closer to Haxan than anything else they've done. But with a little bit more adventurousness in the composition.

And there's a very clear picture of MotD under his personal profile on the metal-archives. He looks exactly the way he sounds, and somehow the loss of mystery does nothing in this case, haha.
AmaLurra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the drums, and that guitar tone is ghastly - almost sludgy, at times. Bass is quite low down in the mix (or is this just my speakers?) and it seems to just follow the riff without much innovation per se, though I'm not musically literate to any marked degree so happy to stand corrected. Vocals are perfect - no change there.
Crasse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinvocation wrote:
And there's a very clear picture of MotD under his personal profile on the metal-archives. He looks exactly the way he sounds, and somehow the loss of mystery does nothing in this case, haha.

Indeed haha.

This is the Lvcifyre video i mentioned in my previous post:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Y9_D1yOXo
Coscartac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinvocation wrote:
Coven, which - while I think it's the band's masterpiece- I wasn't hoping for a part two to.

I actually was, or rather, hoping at some point they do a sequel to Coven. I felt the story could have been fleshed out a bit more. Anyway, the two sample tracks I've heard from this have been great and I'll listen to it in full later.
Roc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to the album again at the gym today and something else I love about the album is the use of more slow, heavy, and palm muted riffs. CRUSHING. Also, M's first scream at the beginning of Woods of Power is truly demonic and sets the tone of what's in store for the rest of the album. The part with only bass and drums in The Serenity of Nothingness is awesome. Perfect album for me. I love Coven however I will definitely be listening to Sinister a lot more.
ThulsaDooom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The band can do no wrong in my eyes and ears. Excellent album and continues their reign at the top of all metal for me.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like elevator music ...the one that takes the damned straight to the bottom depths of the bottomless abyss.

Even the devils mommy would prefer he didn't listen to this evil stuff.
Coscartac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's amazing.
Crasse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listened to the album 3 or 4 times already and after thinking Coven was too long, I think this one is too short (well, I skipped the intro 2 out of the 3/4 listens but still).
The album is awesome, definitely a perfect follow up for Coven.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion and chronologically speaking, I think Sinister should have been right after Spectres. Coven should have been way later down the line.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:
In my opinion and chronologically speaking, I think Sinister should have been right after Spectres. Coven should have been way later down the line.

Is that comment suggesting they were not ready perhaps to take on the challenge of releasing/creating something as lengthy and challenging as Coven? Cause I am not sure what you mean. ...just commenting on the production sound kind of I guess that Sinister sounds less 'polished' maybe and in theory sounds like it would have been before Coven had all this been done 20 years ago where you didn't have a dozen different styles to pick from per album cause studios now have many many options... unlike so many years ago where sound and style were actually a time and date stamp to some degree... but today you can literally mimick any time period and fake it.
alex_korrozia1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to mp3s 3 times already. Way better than Coven in terms of focus and coherency of the songwriting, but I still feel that this album has a fair amount of fluff that could have been trimmed.

Is the music written by the bassist now? He is way all over the place. Reminds me of Necromantia, obviously. But 11 min+ songs with the bass often being the focal point are kind of an acquired taste.

Still, this is likely my album of the year, on the strength of the vocals alone. The Mark dude is seriously in the league of his own.
Warcrust

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 3-4 listents i can say just perfect as always. I loved Coven, now this is a bit different story, partly a back to the roots record if we can say it in the case of CdG. Bass always was a major point of them and now more significant. If there is a black metal band that delivers evil music in 2018 that indeed is CdG. Album of the year.
Roc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC and Day of Joy shirt design now available from OCSR:

http://ocsr.de/php/news.php

You know damn well I'm getting the tape!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 12 of 20

Jump to: