P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Wild Rags records recently found...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Wild Rags records recently found... Reply with quote

Well, my Toxodeth arrived today. Hard to believe it was kept like this since many years. The only bad thing is that the vinyl itself, although looking brand new, it is a bit, how to say, uneven. The stylus moves up and down in the first few songs. Like it was left on the sun or heat. Good thing is that it does not affects the sound or playing at all. Is there a way to fix this? I remember back in the day I used to put some vinyls between two heavy cristals and then exposed to a bit of sun rays, but my mind fails in remembering if it was a success...oh, well.
Still I am amazad how Yosuke find this things left in attics...I think i was lucky it was not eacten by roaches or something!
adrian5118

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Rags records recently found... Reply with quote

Karan wrote:
Well, my Toxodeth arrived today. Hard to believe it was kept like this since many years. The only bad thing is that the vinyl itself, although looking brand new, it is a bit, how to say, uneven. The stylus moves up and down in the first few songs. Like it was left on the sun or heat. Good thing is that it does not affects the sound or playing at all. Is there a way to fix this? I remember back in the day I used to put some vinyls between two heavy cristals and then exposed to a bit of sun rays, but my mind fails in remembering if it was a success...oh, well.
Still I am amazad how Yosuke find this things left in attics...I think i was lucky it was not eacten by roaches or something!

I heard from my local record shop owner that putting them between sheets of glass and in the oven or sun for while works great...
ryan_the_snake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the same. I'm too chicken to try something like that though...
GHOAT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently won a copy of Danzig's II-Lucifuge vinyl for only $10 because it was warped. No one bid on it because the seller stated it was warped, but still played fine, which it does.
Endless Morbidity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had warped records that un-warped themselves. One was totally unplayable. A few years later, I put it on and it worked perfectly.

I find that newer pressings tent to warp more than old ones.

Was the record you bought still in shrink wrap? Sometimes leaving the shrink wrap on an LP can cause it warp. But if the cover doesn't have rounded corners and ring wear, the changes of shrink wrap causing it to warp are slim.
mountainer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many still-sealed copies from the 80's / early 90's turn to be warped when they are open now ...
Too long seals could be an explanations ?
It happens too many times to not be related ...

By the way, some amplifier / graphic equalizer from the old days, offer special filters to limit the effects of warped vinyls. Could be a way without putting the vinyls in the oven ...
CR99

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endless Morbidity wrote:
I've had warped records that un-warped themselves. One was totally unplayable. A few years later, I put it on and it worked perfectly.

I had the exact opposite once. A perfect brazilian platter turned to a pringle for no reason at all
Nosliw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Rags records recently found... Reply with quote

adrian5118 wrote:
Karan wrote:

I heard from my local record shop owner that putting them between sheets of glass and in the oven or sun for while works great...

I wouldn't risk it as the heat might damage and melt the grooves, rendering your record completely useless. I'd try to sandwich the warped records between large, heavy books or something.

T/S List: http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4783
DESECRATOR777

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you keep you records "tight" and sandwiched. the warp will eventually flatten out. eventually meaning months to a year.
Dodens Grav

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacking it under books works. I've done it myself. However, as long as it doesn't affect play, it doesn't really matter.
Demonomancy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that Toxodeth LP (1st Album) for sale/trade. I dont like it, the Demo LP is much better.
Buried In Ohio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DESECRATOR777 wrote:
if you keep you records "tight" and sandwiched. the warp will eventually flatten out. eventually meaning months to a year.

doesn't this also lead to ring wear?
Chit019

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buried In Ohio wrote:
DESECRATOR777 wrote:

doesn't this also lead to ring wear?

well you can sandwich it without the cover sleeve to prevent ring wear.
CR99

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piling a heap of records horizontally isnt good for both cover and vinyl
Noisehunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried straightening my Enslaved RUUN LP, which was totally fucked up, in the oven. Bought two heavy pieces of glass, put the record in between and let it be in the oven for about one hour. The oven was too hot (around 60 Celsius) and that caused loud surface noise to the right channel. Talked to someone who has done this dozens of times. The temperature should be no more than 30-40 Celsius and the record should be cooled down between the glasses long time after the heating, otherwise it will warp again.

The record and glass surfaces touching the record must be cleaned from all the grease, dust etc. crap before the heating. If not, all the crap will attach permanently (or at least very tight) on the grooves and cause a lot of pops and surface noise. I suppose the same goes pretty much for stacking some weight over the record. The weight will push all the crap to the grooves tightly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: