P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Metallica - ...And Justice for All
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  

True death of life
Blackened
35%
 35%  [ 49 ]
...And Justice for All
10%
 10%  [ 14 ]
Eye of the Beholder
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
One
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
The Shortest Straw
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Harvester of Sorrow
11%
 11%  [ 16 ]
The Frayed Ends of Sanity
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
To Live Is to Die
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
Dyers Eve
18%
 18%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 137

Captain Retard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
Captain Retard wrote:
Down There.... wrote:
hymnsoftheneedlefreak wrote:
Anthrax has always and will always suck.

Exclamation

Agree except for Fistful with Neil.
Fistful is my favorite by far, and pretty much the only one I listen to nowadays but whenever I put any of the other ones (with Belladonna) I still enjoy them. Except maybe Among the Living because I'm quite burned out on that one.

If there is ever something like the "Big Four"
This band can not have been a part of it. Belladonna.. uff, horrible!
Have to spin Fistful soon.
axebix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Retard wrote:
cochino wrote:
Captain Retard wrote:
Down There.... wrote:

Exclamation

Fistful is my favorite by far, and pretty much the only one I listen to nowadays but whenever I put any of the other ones (with Belladonna) I still enjoy them. Except maybe Among the Living because I'm quite burned out on that one.

I have enjoyed Spreading the Disease last time I've listened to it, just a decent crossover between NWOBHM and American punk. Still, it's nowhere near other Big 4 bands!

Neutron... Fucking Hammer riff here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oyY6ibGI4M

edit: I hate these goofy outros with a vengeance.
CR99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axebix wrote:
Captain Retard wrote:
cochino wrote:
Captain Retard wrote:
Down There.... wrote:

Exclamation

I have enjoyed Spreading the Disease last time I've listened to it, just a decent crossover between NWOBHM and American punk. Still, it's nowhere near other Big 4 bands!

I feel the same about Anthrax...I like Fistful LP/Soldiers 7", Spreading LP/Armed & Dangerous EP and some of the later skater thrash but it's leagues behind any early Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth. Early bird gets the worm I guess.
deveneror

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Retard wrote:

I guess you know that the "Big Four" tag was created by album sales, right? Anthrax has always been a TERRIBLE band that sold records because it sided with Public Enemy.
pennycentury

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill 'Em All is the most solid album all the way through. All songs apart from Anaesthesia and (to a slightly lesser extent) Jump in the Fire are absolute rippers. The performances are excited and completely bloodthirsty all the way through, and the production is straight as it should be for that style.

On Ride the Lightning they seem to want to both push the envelope further and make classic metal tracks, that are accessible to more people than before. They have great tracks in both camps, but definitely also start failing a little bit with the trying-to-please stuff. Escape is the obvious lowpoint. I don't think Fade to Black is a filler track, but it's definitely drawing heavily on fx Beyond the Realms of Death. The production is a lot bigger sounding and suits everything on the album really well. Fight Fire With Fire arguably tops anything on KEA. The rhythm guitar on that track is just a blast to listen to every single time.

Master of Puppets is kind of frustrating. Again, the production and playing is all totally spot on. Title track, Battery and Damaged Inc. are mind-bogglingly great, and possibly their best songs ever. Perfect combination of thrash and seriously good songcrafting. I also consider Sanitarium their best "ballad". Much more interesting than FTB and not as overplayed and dragging as One. The rest of the songs are not bad, but could have been cut drastically.

AJFA is the ultimate frustrating album in their catalogue. Again, some 100% amazing songs (Blackened and Dyers Eve), a couple of solid tracks (Shortest Straw, Harvester) and then some that could've used some heavy editing and then TLITD and Eye of the Beholder, which I honestly can't see how a band of that caliber would even consider songs. Somehow still an enjoyable album, partly for how weird and misguided it is. But then again, imagine if the album had sounded like the Live in Seattle '89 recording?
Frozen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deveneror wrote:
axebix wrote:
Speaking of production, Heathen - Victims of Deception has to be mentioned.

Heathen is a living AJFA tribute band. Evolution of Chaos was also excellent btw.

I obviously need to give Victims of Deception another listen!
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pennycentury wrote:
Kill 'Em All is the most solid album all the way through. All songs apart from Anaesthesia and (to a slightly lesser extent) Jump in the Fire are absolute rippers. The performances are excited and completely bloodthirsty all the way through, and the production is straight as it should be for that style.

On Ride the Lightning they seem to want to both push the envelope further and make classic metal tracks, that are accessible to more people than before. They have great tracks in both camps, but definitely also start failing a little bit with the trying-to-please stuff. Escape is the obvious lowpoint. I don't think Fade to Black is a filler track, but it's definitely drawing heavily on fx Beyond the Realms of Death. The production is a lot bigger sounding and suits everything on the album really well. Fight Fire With Fire arguably tops anything on KEA. The rhythm guitar on that track is just a blast to listen to every single time.

Master of Puppets is kind of frustrating. Again, the production and playing is all totally spot on. Title track, Battery and Damaged Inc. are mind-bogglingly great, and possibly their best songs ever. Perfect combination of thrash and seriously good songcrafting. I also consider Sanitarium their best "ballad". Much more interesting than FTB and not as overplayed and dragging as One. The rest of the songs are not bad, but could have been cut drastically.

AJFA is the ultimate frustrating album in their catalogue. Again, some 100% amazing songs (Blackened and Dyers Eve), a couple of solid tracks (Shortest Straw, Harvester) and then some that could've used some heavy editing and then TLITD and Eye of the Beholder, which I honestly can't see how a band of that caliber would even consider songs. Somehow still an enjoyable album, partly for how weird and misguided it is. But then again, imagine if the album had sounded like the Live in Seattle '89 recording?

No.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
People said the same about Slam and look at it now. See ya in a couple of years, pal.

Pal, I said and I mean it. I have always considered Anthrax to be very boring and I never been a fan.
cochino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deveneror wrote:
Captain Retard wrote:

I guess you know that the "Big Four" tag was created by album sales, right? Anthrax has always been a TERRIBLE band that sold records because it sided with Public Enemy.
You know that they were actually already at their height of their popularity when they did the Public Enemy track, right?

Anyway, I see most of the hate Anthrax gets is either for their image or because of the "big four" thing. Anyone who likes Power/Speed should be able to enjoy Spreading The Disease because it's a really good album. And I think PoT is one of the few good "modern" Thrash albums that managed to introduce some of the emerging Grunge/Alternative sounds without wimping out. Of course, they went to the whole other side of the spectrum when Bush came along, which is a shame because I think Bush is a good vocalist. I really like his old stuff with Armored Saint.
Resonant Serpent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jameswolfe wrote:
deveneror wrote:
Frozen wrote:

This is correct. It was an invention of Lars, who placed coins on the kicks, to make a strong "click" sound.

Wasn't Vinnie Paul the one who came up with the silver coin on the drum patch? That's what I heard back in the CFH days.

Anyway, voted Blackened. That song alone is better than any track on MOP.

Juatice came out 2 years before CFH.

Yeah, but the Abbott brothers and Metallica always had a complex relationship.

Darrell always had a lot of respect for Metallica. Pantera were doing Metallica covers all the way back in '84. Hetfield would come into town to take lessons from Darrell. There's an infamous jam session from '85 where those who were there swear that the main opening riff for Master of Puppets was played by Darrell, and later co-opted by Hetfield. I know that post MoP, Hetfield took lessons from Darrell. After AJFA came out, Darrell claimed that Metallica owed him royalties from AJFA because Hetfield had converted so much of his teaching curriculum and riffs into album. Said that 80% of the title track alone was barely changed riffs that Darrell had shown him that were actually timing exercises.

I had quit taking lessons from Darrell a couple years before because my parents moved to a different part of the state, but I know people who continued to take lessons, and they state that Darrell was correct in his accusations to this day. With Hetfield spending so much time with them, I don't doubt that he picked up other techniques from the Pantera camp. There was a lot of competition back in the day with bands going so far as to video tape guitarists when they came through town, and people fighting over the tapes when they found out about it.
deveneror

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resonant Serpent wrote:
jameswolfe wrote:
deveneror wrote:
Frozen wrote:

This is correct. It was an invention of Lars, who placed coins on the kicks, to make a strong "click" sound.

Wasn't Vinnie Paul the one who came up with the silver coin on the drum patch? That's what I heard back in the CFH days.

Anyway, voted Blackened. That song alone is better than any track on MOP.

Juatice came out 2 years before CFH.

Yeah, but the Abbott brothers and Metallica always had a complex relationship.

Yeah, Anselmo as well. There were times where Pantera and Metallica openly trashed each other.

cochino wrote:

Anyway, I see most of the hate Anthrax gets is either for their image or because of the "big four" thing.

I don't like them. I never did. The closest thing I heard back in the day that I would label decent from them was Among the Living, but they always were a mediocre to terrible band in my book. I never gave importance to the big four tag, it's just that there were so many better thrash bands that I couldn't care less about Anthrax. I still heard the albums when they came up because it was what all people did anyway.
tootrve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackened
msp666

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this album on cassette when it came out in 1988 with my pocket money. I was just getting seriously into metal and wanted something different from Maiden, Kiss, Van Halen. It blew my away and I still love it to this day. It remains in my top five of all time
As my crushed bowels evacuate much to my dismay...
Arrogant Destruktor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen wrote:
Vanitas wrote:
I'd say Coroner - Mental Vortex or at least some parts of it.

Definitely! Even the production is like a poor man's ...And Justice for All, though not quite as dry.

The Morrisound mix contributed to a little bit of that flatness in the production. would have sounded better if they mixed it at skytrak as well.... I'll wait for a coroner thread to come round, flawless discography....
translucent_nick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Retard wrote:
cochino wrote:
Captain Retard wrote:
Down There.... wrote:

Exclamation

I remember when I heard Anthrax with Belladonna for the first time on "spreading the disease", I thought "oh man he is a JOHN LYNN TURNER CLONE both in voice and image" - hahahahah
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: