P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Darkthrone - Goatlord
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cursed_Reefer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like it that much to be honest. I need to listen to those instrumental takes of the songs, because I don't like the vocals that much, especially the "female" parts. Those kind of vocals worked for Celtic Frost, and I clearly see that Fenriz did a tribute, but for me they are out of place.
Naisen Ketsu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it love it love it love it!!!!
ALL Darkthrone albums from Soulside to Goatlord to A Blaze to all the way up to Parnzerfaust are 5 stars albums and Goatlord is almost a 6 star album! So unique and exquisite! Very versatile stuff! Amazing mix between death metal, black metal and progressive elements, even jazzy at times! Obscure, original, flowing, heavy, interesting, even fun! Just slays everything with the talented musicianship. Reminds me of a storm. Going in all directions at the same time, almost falls apart but not really. Great lyrics, too.
Only minus comes from the original cover which always looked pretty cheap with the layered image. New album art is pretty cool itself but does not look and feel like Darkthrone.

I have never been able to decide which version I like better. Both are really good. Got the instrumental on the 3CD box, and the vocal version on CD and tape.

BUT: I would love to have the instrumental on vinyl. Is there one?
Oh and are there different versions soundwise? Are the represses with new cover art remastered or something?
Philemon Siclone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it at all.
Warcrust

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not listen to it too often but anytime I put it on the player just realize how essential unique and evil sounding record it is. Hail Goatlord pure audio darkness!
W. Helm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This album hasn't clicked with me yet, but I haven't spent enough time with it.
It's the only Darkthrone I still need in my collection. The cut off for me is Hate them. After that I only have the Too old, too cold 12" because that is an excellent song.
templedclxvi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favourite album from them ! it has same twisted beauty to it like Into The Pandemonium. Am I the only one who doesn't buy the claim of Fenriz' female vocals? Very Happy
Nebel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

templedclxvi wrote:
my favourite album from them ! it has same twisted beauty to it like Into The Pandemonium. Am I the only one who doesn't buy the claim of Fenriz' female vocals? Very Happy

I'm totally sure it's him doing those "female" vocals. Why wouldn't it be?
templedclxvi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nebel wrote:
templedclxvi wrote:

I'm totally sure it's him doing those "female" vocals. Why wouldn't it be?

I know it's supposed to be pitch shifter but some of the female singing sounds very very "clean", although at times does sound bit like an imitator.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good discussion, indeed a very forgotten album, their only thing that I have never listened to.
Final Holocaust

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great CF/Autopsy worship, the way I like it baby, I don't wanna live forever. Also some Dr. Shrinker thrown here and there - if I'm not wrong sir Amarillo used to live by those demos too.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good album, but I do prefer the instrumental version.
deveneror

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This album was really hurt by the time release. If it was released before A Blaze, it could have been far better received.
hymnsoftheneedlefreak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widdershins wrote:
Captain Retard wrote:
The only album of them i don't own.
I've never understood the purpose behind this release.
Why they recorded vocals to it a couple years later and included it to their discography is beyond my understanding.
Absolutely unnecessary album imo.

Not very difficult to understand.

They recorded the instrumentation for Goatlord after Soulside Journey, as it was a death metal album they shelved the recording when they decided to record A Blaze in the Northern Sky as their second release instead. In the mid 90's Fenriz dug out the tape and recorded vocals for it and titled it Goatlord in honor of the band Goatlord.

For me a very important album. I listened to it constantly throughout high school, and was even almost obsessed with it....and I still put it on from time to time. No comments are really needed on the obviously insane vocal performance and the riffing and song structures border on almost hallucinogenic or dream-like underlining that this is truly demented Satanic death metal. Drum sound and playing is unique and like a labyrinth. The rehearsal sound gives it even more twisted intimacy and the riffs are fucking EVIL. Just listening to that wide eyed and panicked opening that introduces Rex and Fenriz's opening scream, gives me chills every time.

An essential Darkthrone release, the deformed and neglected bastard child of the classic era of their discography.

Good description, and agreed, a cult, weirdo classic.
Mortems

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the three best Darkthrone albums alongside A Blaze... and Panzerfaust!
Guido

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widdershins wrote:
Captain Retard wrote:
The only album of them i don't own.
I've never understood the purpose behind this release.
Why they recorded vocals to it a couple years later and included it to their discography is beyond my understanding.
Absolutely unnecessary album imo.

Not very difficult to understand.

They recorded the instrumentation for Goatlord after Soulside Journey, as it was a death metal album they shelved the recording when they decided to record A Blaze in the Northern Sky as their second release instead. In the mid 90's Fenriz dug out the tape and recorded vocals for it and titled it Goatlord in honor of the band Goatlord.

For me a very important album. I listened to it constantly throughout high school, and was even almost obsessed with it....and I still put it on from time to time. No comments are really needed on the obviously insane vocal performance and the riffing and song structures border on almost hallucinogenic or dream-like underlining that this is truly demented Satanic death metal. Drum sound and playing is unique and like a labyrinth. The rehearsal sound gives it even more twisted intimacy and the riffs are fucking EVIL. Just listening to that wide eyed and panicked opening that introduces Rex and Fenriz's opening scream, gives me chills every time.

An essential Darkthrone release, the deformed and neglected bastard child of the classic era of their discography.

Totally agree! It's an important album as a link between Death and Black Metal. Let's the best (and only?) Techno Satanic Death Metal album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: