P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Thoughts on Forgotten Woods - The Curse of Mankind
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chambord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on Forgotten Woods - The Curse of Mankind Reply with quote

With so many black metal bands releasing music during the early/mid 90s boom and my frantic attempt to hear them all, there's always been certain records I gave a spin or two at the time but never fully took the time to delve into. With Forgotten Woods, I remember hearing As the Wolves Howl when it was released and lazily chalking it up to a Burzum clone. Cut to 25 years later, over the last few weeks I've fallen down the Forgotten Woods/Joyless rabbit hole and I must say "The Curse of Mankind" has absolutely captivated me the more I listen to it.

In my opinion this album deserves to be in any list claiming to represent the 10 finest Norwegian black metal albums. While not as fast/evil/traditional as many other records that would also be in said top 10 list, this album expresses a particular 'feel' (loosely Ulver/Burzum yet still unique) that I think captures a melancholic and dreamy atmosphere, like a rustic/pastoral black metal recording. The recording itself isn't thin by any means, but the fact it's mostly devoid of an overdose of synth, reverb and wall-of-noise dissonance allows a lot of breathing room for the music to communicate, and in this case less is definitely more. I'm probably preaching to the choir as many of you likely know of this album beyond a casual spin or two, but I'm blown away at how little I ever hear it brought up in conversation. In my opinion it has aged very well and contains songwriting and guitar work that are among the best I've ever heard in the genre.
Supervolcano

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best Norwegian bm album ever created and my absolute favorite black metal album. No other band matches the uniqueness and the wide range of influences while crafting an insanely original sound. "The Starlit Waters / I, The Mountain" is one of the pinnacles of their career, the amount of groove they are able to establish is jaw dropping. A lot of bands preach the misanthropic attitude, but none embody it more than Forgotten Woods. The ATMF digipack CD reissues are essential in my opinion, it is great to have interpretations of the lyrics and the times by Rune. The Joyless album "Unlimited Hate" is also recommended for all fans of FW. There will never be another band like Forgotten Woods.

Edit: Just wanted to add that the drumming performance on Forgotten Woods albums is insanely underrated, but pivotal to the progression of each track. The songs justify their length with the amount of variation brought on by the possessed drumming. Not the album in question, but the track "Sjel Av Natten" is probably the best example of how the unpredictable yet satisfying drumming transforms the entire track into a haze of pure bliss.
plague

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible band, incredible record
Abel Tesfaye
banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is 1 of the best albums to play for people who don't listen to bm, or to introduce them to the genre. at the very least they will have to respect the musicianship and songwriting
AmaLurra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superior band heads and shoulders above most other bits in the genre, for that "fuck everything; fuck you all" attitude. As noted above, it's so bloody groovy at the same time. For me, it's music for being played in the height of summer when the sun is beaming down and everything is too fucking hot.

I also recall discussions about the band using a drum machine on some of their stuff from a previous topic, which always struck me as surprising, because it appears to be a real drummer.

The opening track on this LP is splendid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW0TTnJ52ms
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this was always my favorite from Forgotten Woods. Will play it today, been a few years.
candlesmoke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prefer 'Unlimited Hate' by Joyless ('Inherent Emptiness' must be one of the best metal songs), but regardless, 'The Curse of Mankind' is legendary. Just like the person above, also really appreciate the drumming (and drum production) on FW albums.
Humus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgotten woods, Dodheimsgard & Ved buens ende have, for me, been bands that are on par with the ‘classic’ Norwegian bands, but somehow are a lot less popular.
That 3CD box that was released can be found for as cheap as 5 euro. Value for money-wise that’s one of the 5 best euro’s you can ever spend.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still liked the album but sweet mother those clean vocals are terrible.

...♫Öööööö.
Aaaaaa. ♫...
!!!EEEEEEE!!! ??

Last edited by Feuersturm on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
axebix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard it since high school, time to re-visit both this and debut.
Swampmort

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgotten woods, joyless, they make me wet.

The velvet room is a masterpiece.
windofpain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humus wrote:
Forgotten woods, Dodheimsgard & Ved buens ende have, for me, been bands that are on par with the ‘classic’ Norwegian bands, but somehow are a lot less popular.
That 3CD box that was released can be found for as cheap as 5 euro. Value for money-wise that’s one of the 5 best euro’s you can ever spend.

where can you get the comp for 5 euro ?

"King Dude sounds like white power Cake"
NuclearGoatVomit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely one of my top 5 bands along with Joyless. I simply love everything this band recorded, they just make music the way I want to hear it and the way I would make it, if I could Surprised
The Curse Of Mankind is a brilliant album. For those who do not know - ATMF have released Joyless' Unlimited Hate on CD, but with new artwork, wich isn't bad, but I like the original better.
Also The curse of mankind as well as digipack, excellent releases.
Now if they only make some nice shirts....And a vinyl edition of Unlimited Hate Razz

P.S. Just got back from some mountain biking in our beatuful woods and I will play the album, been some months now....
mithrandir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely album their whole discography is unimpeachable
Humus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windofpain wrote:
Humus wrote:

where can you get the comp for 5 euro ?

Seems to be around 15 on the internet. Saw one at a record fair last year for 6 or 7 euro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: