P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Metallica
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VATRA I SUMPOR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lighting are superb albums! 3rd and 4th are also good, and that's all that is good from Metallica.

Black is some kind of pop rock, and to be honest, I haven't really listened anything after that. I choose Metallica from 80s! Real and thrashing...
Imperative Coronation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much agree with everyone in this thread, except I really like Justice and Puppets too, Justice a bit more. Kill 'Em All is definitely one of the greatest thrash albums.
bmdk666

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1)Reign In Blood
2)Ride The Lighting
3)Rust In Peace
4)everything else
spectre

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up listening to Metallica so there is a lot of sentimental value in those old records. Lightning is my favorite; I really enjoy Justice a lot though too. Kill 'em All is enjoyable but I feel it gets a little stale after awhile. Puppets is good but it's the one I listen to the least .
dalecooper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmdk666 wrote:
1)Reign In Blood
2)Ride The Lighting
3)Rust In Peace
4)everything else

Personally I'd take "Darkness Descends" and "Beneath the Remains" over all three of these; I'd also replace "Reign in Blood" with "Hell Awaits," and "Rust in Peace" with "Peace Sells." I'm also of the mindset that "Seven Churches" is basically a thrash album, in which case it trumps everything.
Lutfor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all well reasoned, and acceptable arguments. I agree with everything, but I have to confess that Enter Sandman is a guilty pleasure, as is a good deal of the Black Album. If it is indeed a Pop Rock album, then it remains the darkest one I've ever heard. I think Metallica themselves felt a little strange to suddenly graduate to mainstream success. Of course, time has shown that they settled into it easily enough. The Black Album is when all that self-pitying country whine started coming into play. The two albums after that, Load and Reload, wouldn't be so bad if they had been released under another moniker, but I suspect they'd still be shit.

For me, the final nail in Metallica's coffine was the group therapy DVD, Some Kind of Monster. Jesus fucking Christ. What a mockery of their former selves. IF the 22-year old Metallica were to see that, they'd probably faint.
Lutfor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also need to the shut the hell up regarding Cliff Burton. The poor guy needs to die already (figuratively speaking).

Jason Newsted is still cool. He left them for Voivod, purely for musical reasons.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutfor wrote:
These are all well reasoned, and acceptable arguments. I agree with everything, but I have to confess that Enter Sandman is a guilty pleasure, as is a good deal of the Black Album.

I agree. I don't have a problem with that album really except when compared to its predecessors, or looked at in its historical context (as the album that heralded the ruining of Metallica). For a blatant sellout and a pop/metal album, it's well done. There's like five songs on there that are just undeniable when blaring out of a big set of speakers, if you like big fat riffs and hooks. (Of course if you only like obscure underground and morbid shit, the black album will probably never win you over... but I digress.)

Lutfor wrote:

For me, the final nail in Metallica's coffine was the group therapy DVD, Some Kind of Monster. Jesus fucking Christ. What a mockery of their former selves. IF the 22-year old Metallica were to see that, they'd probably faint.

The funny thing is, I enjoyed watching that quite a bit. But for reasons that have little to do with metal. As a documentary of a metal band, it's pretty embarrassing. As a documentary of human beings hanging on to a relationship that should probably have been dissolved long ago, and also struggling to reconcile their youthful interests while growing old and turning into family men, it's interesting. The only part I don't like is that the ending basically puts a stamp of approval on "St. Anger" (the text at the very end basically says, "Hey, therapy did these guys some good, and this awesome album was the result!") - which we all know was a horrible piece of crap.
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Metallica is crap. Megadeth's first 4 wipe the floor with Metallica's.
dead gods

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was never a huge fan aside from KEA, but I am glad they stuck around long enough for that DVD set, as it's easily one the funniest movies I've seen in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ZONJGjzHM

...And there's something like 3+ hours of amazing moments like that.
Down there...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone do a nice worthwhile bootleg DLP of demos and some early live gig...throw in some goodies too, old school shirt etc...
bmdk666

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
bmdk666 wrote:
1)Reign In Blood
2)Ride The Lighting
3)Rust In Peace
4)everything else

Personally I'd take "Darkness Descends" and "Beneath the Remains" over all three of these; I'd also replace "Reign in Blood" with "Hell Awaits," and "Rust in Peace" with "Peace Sells." I'm also of the mindset that "Seven Churches" is basically a thrash album, in which case it trumps everything.

Beneath the Remains would have been #5 on my list. Early Slayer, Metallica and Megadeth are all great, but these three albums are the pinnacles of each band for me.
karimlan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:

As a documentary of human beings hanging on to a relationship that should probably have been dissolved long ago, and also struggling to reconcile their youthful interests while growing old and turning into family men, it's interesting.

Exactly!! This was the underlying aspect that I found interesting in that film. The documentary pretty much tells any viewer who's familiar with the band's history and what their collective attitude was once etc. that here's a bunch of guys who are really no different to the 40 somethings you might meet one day who'll say something like "oh yeah I used to be into that Metal stuff when I was younger.

It's one of those things that makes me shake my head and just laugh - these groundbreaking, landmark Metal albums were written by guys who were just going through a phase.
deviltwin9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
bmdk666 wrote:
1)Reign In Blood
2)Ride The Lighting
3)Rust In Peace
4)everything else

Darkness Descends is my holy grail.
Lutfor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalecooper wrote:
Lutfor wrote:
These are all well reasoned, and acceptable arguments. I agree with everything, but I have to confess that Enter Sandman is a guilty pleasure, as is a good deal of the Black Album.

I agree. I don't have a problem with that album really except when compared to its predecessors, or looked at in its historical context (as the album that heralded the ruining of Metallica). For a blatant sellout and a pop/metal album, it's well done. There's like five songs on there that are just undeniable when blaring out of a big set of speakers, if you like big fat riffs and hooks. (Of course if you only like obscure underground and morbid shit, the black album will probably never win you over... but I digress.)

Lutfor wrote:

The funny thing is, I enjoyed watching that quite a bit. But for reasons that have little to do with metal. As a documentary of a metal band, it's pretty embarrassing. As a documentary of human beings hanging on to a relationship that should probably have been dissolved long ago, and also struggling to reconcile their youthful interests while growing old and turning into family men, it's interesting. The only part I don't like is that the ending basically puts a stamp of approval on "St. Anger" (the text at the very end basically says, "Hey, therapy did these guys some good, and this awesome album was the result!") - which we all know was a horrible piece of crap.

I suppose I'll bring myself to watch it one of these days. I am most definitely unimpressed with Robert Trujilo. He fits them like a five fingered glove on a dick.

Perhaps Metallica themselves realized they had gone too far with the make-up photo shoot in '96. They got rid of that pretty quick; one of the few okay things they've done in recent years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: