P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Best and worst drum performances
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Farthest Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Best and worst drum performances Reply with quote

Poorly handled drums can be the ruin of any release. By this I don't necessarily mean that technical proficiency is a must, but that performing with force and conviction and having a good sense for that pulse is a necessity in metal.

I'll start. Off the top of my head, here's some I consider absolutely stellar. Dawn's Slaughtersun is an award winning performance. So is pretty much everything James Read touches. Same for Commando Pete. Nespithe, Paracletus, Malhkebre's EP and Aosoth split. Siege with Drop Dead. Decapitated on Winds of Creation. Antaeus on all three releases, Emperor's ITNE, Immolation with Smilowski and Hernandez, Malleus Maleficarum (Fra) on first two releases, Ofermod's everything, Mysterion in particular.

There's a few that really go on my nerves. Hyperactive trashing on Storm of the Light's Bane. Awkward... everything... on Far Away From The Sun -- though the production is also a big culprit there. Baptism's early drumming is hit-and-miss. Obsessed by Cruelty is charming to some, not to me.

Now your turn.
Tireheb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poorly handled drums, that's what I enjoy!

"You can't hide the hook!"
Hipsterfago

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absurd with Möbus comes to mind...
Black Mass Ritual
banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 of my picks.

Goatlord - Reflections Of The Solstice (but damn I love it)

Satanic Warmaster - Revelations (fucking horrendous drumming)
Morbid Obesity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy Foxe is one of the best drummers I've ever heard. I have tons of favorites but he sticks out for me.
DSS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sepultura "Arise" LP - I always admired the drums on this album. Bought it when it came out and I still listen to it regularly. "Desperate Cry" is a song I can put on repeat because of the drums.

Some sloppy drumming can add charm to certain albums. "In the sing of evil" is a good example. Early VoiVod comes to mind as well. And not to forget Capricornus on the early Graveland recordings.
Mikael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that along with better songs, the drumming on the latest MGLA-album raised it above their earlier works.

Stormvold by Molested also has great drumming and for some reason it partly reminds me of Revenge.
Dalen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are gonna laugh about it, but I think Lars Ulrich is one of the best and most influential drummers in metal. Seriously. He's a poorly advanced one technically speaking, but he plays the drums as an actual instrument with his extensive use of cymbals, and most drum tracks actually present good ideas. Plus, Black Album's production is very much based on its drum sound, a highly influential album production-wise.
Mikael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Lars was never that technical, but had great ideas and was more than a drummer, yet these days he's just shit. Not because he can't play wast with his feet anymore, but because he became lazy and rarely use toms anymore, instead all the fills are just snare and hi-hat has been replaced by china/crash.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most influential drummer there ever was and will always ever be ...ANIMAL from the muppet show.

Probably the sole reason anyone over 30 ever became a metal drummer to begin with in the metal genre.

Dalen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so, but this is the best Animal scene ever : P I never get enough of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA47wDINua8
Stormheit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two albums coming to my mind I listened in these days are releases of World Terror Comittee: Acherontas' Amenti and Ascension's Consolamentum. Both contain really killer drumming.
Feuersturm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But who could forget http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txjQHeQH5eY
Man they really nail those fills.
Candlemass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bathory - The Return

Shittiest drummer ever. Still a godly album though.

gromcrom wrote:
Other fails must listen instead homeless hiking gypsy of Darkthrones.
alexyorkalive

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalen wrote:
You guys are gonna laugh about it, but I think Lars Ulrich is one of the best and most influential drummers in metal. Seriously. He's a poorly advanced one technically speaking, but he plays the drums as an actual instrument with his extensive use of cymbals, and most drum tracks actually present good ideas. Plus, Black Album's production is very much based on its drum sound, a highly influential album production-wise.

Not this debate again... he is a completely below average drummer, at best, in my opinion (as a drummer). You say he uses the cymbals extensively but there are SO many passages in their music that CRY OUT for some fucking RIDE CYMBAL yet he sticks to that fucking hi-hat like it's his firstborn child or something. And barely any china, no splash, nothing. Too basic. We're not talking about going all Hellhammer with the splashes, here, just a little fucking variation would be nice. He has a poor ear, if you ask me, this is the only explanation for his total lack of experimentation with different tones across the kit. He has bucketloads of energy (or had, anyway) and I really have no general issue with his performances on any of their records but there is no WAY that this guy should be included in any kind of "best drummers" list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: