P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

What readest thou?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HotBlack

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MorbidAsshole wrote:
Just started Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock. First few chapters really drew me in!

His appearances on the JRE podcast are good listens, particularly him with Randall Carlson...
cochino

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those guys are so full of shit though
intothinair_

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started Philip Glass's autobiography, Words Without Music: A Memoir. He's one of my favourite composers of all time and his relationship with non-Western music is really interesting.

Just finished Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor, which is basically Aesop's Fables but every character is a misanthropic Christian who ends up having a stroke or other sticky end.
Dismal

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paths wrote:
The Conspiracy Against the Human Race by Thomas Ligotti. Just finished his Grimscribe and Songs of a Dead Dreamer compilation.

Nice. I read Songs of a dead dreamer & Grimscribe last year. Still haven't got round to reading anything else by Logotti though.

Likewise read "Lŕ-bas" a while ago, but not anything by him. Something I should remedy.

Currently reading Melmoth the Wanderer. Really enjoying it so far. Very damning.
qotsa909

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

intothinair_ wrote:
Just started Philip Glass's autobiography, Words Without Music: A Memoir. He's one of my favourite composers of all time and his relationship with non-Western music is really interesting.

Love Philip Glass and his biography is great although, like most biographies, it's the early days and the rise to prominence which are most interesting- and I'm sure you must have seen it, but the DVD 'A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts' is essential watching.
LuiSlayer

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, Steve Perry.

After years of reading only the comic books, I decided to give it a try on the Star Wars Expanded Universe novels.
I'm almost half throught this one and it's quite good. It has the Star Wars feeling all over it...
danofort

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midnight in Chernobyl by Adam Higganbotham. A very well written concise account of the clusterfuck that was the Chernobyl disaster.
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$3 at bookstore. A quick read. Entertaining.

For Sale:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1418092#1418092
amon-goethe

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Time The World
George Lincoln Rockwell
terrible.mutilation

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I've been churning through some simple Stephen King page turners - Misery was great, as were Needful Things and Christine. After reading mostly skeptical and non-fiction for a year, coming back to a straight start-middle-end story has been a lot of fun. I also just finished up The Damnation Game by Clive Barker, pretty appropriately twisted and holds up well today. Now I'm onto more $2 op shop King, Dreamcatcher
cochino

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrible.mutilation wrote:
Recently I've been churning through some simple Stephen King page turners - Misery was great, as were Needful Things and Christine. After reading mostly skeptical and non-fiction for a year, coming back to a straight start-middle-end story has been a lot of fun. I also just finished up The Damnation Game by Clive Barker, pretty appropriately twisted and holds up well today. Now I'm onto more $2 op shop King, Dreamcatcher
I've recently re-read "Different Seasons" after many years. It's still my favorite King book, even though "The Breathing Method" is pretty weak filler, and "The Body" would work better if either he would've skipped the short stories that are shoved in, or made it happen more often to show parallels between his childhood and his development as an adult author. The way it is, it just feels like self indulgent padding that goes nowhere. Anyway, this time around my favorite story was probably Apt Pupil, which has become even more relevant in light of Christchurch and the overall alt-right movement in western countries, specially America.
I've also recently read "Full Dark, No Stars" which was pretty decent as well and shows King tends to be at his best when he's not writing straight up supernatural horror, and on the other hand, I read "Revival" which shows that he can still knock out decent classic horror from time to time, as long as he doesn't feel he has to pass over the 400 page mark. It's also one of the few horror stories by King that has a proper ending in tune with the rest of the book and not some bullshit deus ex machina asspull, or some boring good vs evil showdown at the end. Would definitely recommend that one too.
PanzerGeneral

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The doctrine of fascism.

For a word that popular (in current year) its meaning sure is misunderstood.
CR99

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cochino wrote:
I've recently re-read "Different Seasons" after many years. It's still my favorite King book, even though "The Breathing Method" is pretty weak filler, and "The Body" would work better if either he would've skipped the short stories that are shoved in, or made it happen more often to show parallels between his childhood and his development as an adult author. The way it is, it just feels like self indulgent padding that goes nowhere. Anyway, this time around my favorite story was probably Apt Pupil, which has become even more relevant in light of Christchurch and the overall alt-right movement in western countries, specially America.
I've also recently read "Full Dark, No Stars" which was pretty decent as well and shows King tends to be at his best when he's not writing straight up supernatural horror, and on the other hand, I read "Revival" which shows that he can still knock out decent classic horror from time to time, as long as he doesn't feel he has to pass over the 400 page mark. It's also one of the few horror stories by King that has a proper ending in tune with the rest of the book and not some bullshit deus ex machina asspull, or some boring good vs evil showdown at the end. Would definitely recommend that one too.

King's big books are notorious for breathtaking beginnings and disappointing endings. As cool as The Stand is overall, man does the last "battle" suck. Personally I think he's best at short stories and novellas. My all time favorite of his is The Long Walk which is a short dystopian novel from the Bachman years, love Running Man as well. Worst ones I read might be Langoliers, Roadwork & Joyland. The seasons collection is one of the better ones indeed apart from that kinda lame Winter story.
cochino

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, King always drops the ball with the endings, which is why Revival was a pleasant surprise. It's nothing mindblowing but it's actually an ending that feels earned by the setup and not a cop out at all. I recently also re-read "Salem's Lot" after about 15 years since I did the first time, and was enjoying it just fine until the last third where it got so dull that I never finished it. He's at his best with shorter stuff, and even better if it's driven by character rather than plot. I really loved "The Long Walk" when I read it but it's been also about 15 years since I've read it, so I'd need to re-read it in order to give an opinion now.
I've got in my to-read pile his short story book "The Bazaar of Bad Dreams". I hope there's at least a few good ones in there.

And to be more on topic, last night I finished reading "Clarke County, Space" by Allen Steele. It's the first thing by him that I've read and it was a lot of fun until the climax in the last 4 or 5 chapters when he completely screws the pooch by turning it into a Hollywood-esque 90s action blockbuster, and I mean this in the worst way possible. Pretty much the same as what we were talking about King. Pretty disappointing 'cause I was really enjoying the book but at least is quite a short one so it doesn't feel as frustrating as when King's does it. I'm definitely interested in reading more from this guy 'cause there's obviously some talent there.
windofpain

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CR99 wrote:
cochino wrote:

King's big books are notorious for breathtaking beginnings and disappointing endings. As cool as The Stand is overall, man does the last "battle" suck. Personally I think he's best at short stories and novellas. My all time favorite of his is The Long Walk which is a short dystopian novel from the Bachman years, love Running Man as well. Worst ones I read might be Langoliers, Roadwork & Joyland. The seasons collection is one of the better ones indeed apart from that kinda lame Winter story.

the material he wrote under Bachman is by far my favourite work he's done. The Running Man is so good.

"King Dude sounds like white power Cake"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 88 of 91

Jump to: