P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

What readest thou?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Sale:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1418092#1418092
VoKu HiLa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently finished Iommi‘s book. Pretty cool read, especially about the post Dio years when things were a bit patchy.
Jorm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This book about the history of the only V6-powered motorcycle. Too bad they never made it to the production model.

Hallucinogen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morfumax wrote:
Hallucinogen wrote:
Burton wrote:
Hallucinogen wrote:
Chasm City

What do you think? Out of all of his books Ive read this was my least fav. Felt like a bit of a misstep in an otherwise excellent series.
I'm still not too far in, chapter 11 or something, but so far it's okay. Not as captivating as Revelation Space, but also not as bad as Redemption Ark which I found to be a significant downgrade in quality.

Of all of his books, Chasm City was by far my favorite. Absolution Gap was not bad, but the ending to the whole series bombed so badly that I don't think I will re-read any of the books, not even Chasm City.

I finished it yesterday. I enjoyed it overall. It has some good parts, various descents into madness/deep places that are well described, some twists here and there. The biggest negative is that sometimes the actions, dialogue, or plot points don't make that much sense and bring you out of immersion. It's like in Redemption Ark where one particular scene made no sense whatsoever but was there simply to show some technology the author wanted to show. Nothing in Chasm City was as bad as that particular Redemption Ark scene though, but various moments had the same taint.
Still, it's enjoyable to read something that is at least somewhat faithful to science. Hollywoodberg should adapt books like this to film instead of the incessant flow of infantile capeshit.
Kranholio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent read about the creation of id Software and the two minds of John Carmack and John Romero that started it all.
Ough

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fellas from the movie thread wanna give me a starting point for David Sedaris? I know I had a couple of his things laying around at some point like I said, even had a gf who was super into him back in the day, but I don't think I've got them around anymore... I think one was "Dress Your Family"
snakenuts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ough wrote:
You fellas from the movie thread wanna give me a starting point for David Sedaris? I know I had a couple of his things laying around at some point like I said, even had a gf who was super into him back in the day, but I don't think I've got them around anymore... I think one was "Dress Your Family"

I haven’t read all of his work, but When You Are Engulfed In Flames” was my starting point.
the recent Calypso was kind of so-so.
Someone once told me “Holidays on Ice” is the best of his, but I can’t say myself, and it seems to have average reviews.
Me Talk Pretty One Day might be your best entry point, though.

Wondering if the new Chuck Klosterman novel is worth a read?
The Missing Link

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snakenuts wrote:
Ough wrote:

I haven’t read all of his work, but When You Are Engulfed In Flames” was my starting point.
the recent Calypso was kind of so-so.
Someone once told me “Holidays on Ice” is the best of his, but I can’t say myself, and it seems to have average reviews.
Me Talk Pretty One Day might be your best entry point, though.

Wondering if the new Chuck Klosterman novel is worth a read?

This is good:

Just started this:

For Sale:
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1418092#1418092
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ough wrote:

I would start with Naked or Me Talk Pretty One Day. If you like, keep going after that. All of it is excellent.
Ough

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks y’all
Aeonblade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stories and fast paced writing are really cool, but I can't remember or pronounce all these fucking names.

Ough

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back and updating my Book of the New Sun editions since I've only read/have it on those newest versions you can find anywhere, when my mi madre picked them up for me one glorious Christmas years ago.

Anyway, anyone here got a Shadow of the Torturer original they'd sell me? Don't care if it's 1st edition, book club version will do. Just need that Don Maitz dust jacket in vg/fine condition.

Anyone seen that ridiculous Folio Society version released this year? Too bad it was $600 and I'm in debt cuz I woulda snapped that the fuck up and worried about affording it later. - But then of course I would be worried about touching the fucking things Laughing Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T06OTEYN5k
axebix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noctuary by Ligotti
Haerelon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daturaAD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading a couple. Recording 'em too for my fellow lazy Jungians on the Jung subreddit.

Almost finished with The Neurotic Personality of Our Time by Karen Horney. It's pretty ite. She's going through the different ways that neurosis manifests itself.

Was asked to record Jung's Zarathustra lectures. Slow going. I'm forty/fifty pages in and there's a solid three hundred more to go. I'm not familiar with Zarathustra or Neech but I know Jung well enough.

I'll probably have that one done in two weeks as my house is pretty loud most days so I only have at most five hours to do this nonsense.

Finally I'm doing Edward Edinger's Anatomy of the Psyche. I have the first chapter recorded. It's about calcinatio - or a purifying fire via mental distress. I read it a few years back but getting into it is pretty rough but fun. Great book to have when it comes to dreaming as the alchemic process manifests in various ways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next
Page 91 of 94

Jump to: