P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

What readest thou?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hallucinogen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chasm City
BaronOvHell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High-Rise by JG Ballard followed by a bunch of PKD and nonfiction 'Medieval life' books
Burton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallucinogen wrote:
Chasm City

What do you think? Out of all of his books Ive read this was my least fav. Felt like a bit of a misstep in an otherwise excellent series.
Hallucinogen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burton wrote:
Hallucinogen wrote:
Chasm City

What do you think? Out of all of his books Ive read this was my least fav. Felt like a bit of a misstep in an otherwise excellent series.
I'm still not too far in, chapter 11 or something, but so far it's okay. Not as captivating as Revelation Space, but also not as bad as Redemption Ark which I found to be a significant downgrade in quality.
Burton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galactic North was my fav in the Revelation Space series. Shame he went on to writing Dr Who novels. Such a waste
deveneror

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologiae. Essential theological and philosophical reading that's worth of revisiting from time to time.
norwegianhowlermonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe last week and I was floored. It's the only book that has earned an instant second read from me. Going to let it sink in before moving on to The Urth of the New Sun

I'm in the middle of Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco. I'm certainly learning a lot but the amount of time I'm spending on wikipedia reading about Italian Unification to make sense of it has slowed everything down to a crawl.

Just received:

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson
Haunted Castles by Ray Russell
Hangsaman by Shirley Jackson
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
morfumax

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallucinogen wrote:
Burton wrote:
Hallucinogen wrote:
Chasm City

I'm still not too far in, chapter 11 or something, but so far it's okay. Not as captivating as Revelation Space, but also not as bad as Redemption Ark which I found to be a significant downgrade in quality.

Of all of his books, Chasm City was by far my favorite. Absolution Gap was not bad, but the ending to the whole series bombed so badly that I don't think I will re-read any of the books, not even Chasm City.

13 wrote:
what
Coronzom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read 7 Philip K. Dick novels in the last 12 months and recently started his short story collections. Maybe it's because I was a little burnt out (self-inflicted) on time travel/alternate universes, but I have to agree that he was a fantastic short story writer. The King of Elves and Upon The Dull Earth were surprisingly a breathe of fresh air.
xyosefx

Location: We lived among the people. I think you say "convenience store." We lived above it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaronOvHell wrote:
High-Rise by JG Ballard followed by a bunch of PKD and nonfiction 'Medieval life' books

High-Rise is great, one of my favorites of Ballard. Absolute visionary author. And you can't go wrong with PKD.

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.

Fallen Portrait Prod wrote:
Delete this forum or you WILL hear from my lawyer.
Subcide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flowersofevil wrote:
RyanStench wrote:
Subcide wrote:

Did you like it? I've never understood why anyone would want to take masculinity advice from a Gay LARPer.

Do you think Milo Yiannopolous and Jack have fucked yet?

I tried to read this book and it was so badly written I couldn't get very far. I'm interested in some of the ideas though.

I just read A Take Of Satisfied Desire by Bataille. It was.... stimulating.

I'm finding it to be an enjoyable read with some interesting ideas and concepts.

Regarding Jack and Milo. No idea. Do they know each other?
necrodeceitdoctrinator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deveneror wrote:
Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologiae. Essential theological and philosophical reading that's worth of revisiting from time to time.

Classic yet hard reading. I'm reading the De Adhaerendo Deo opus from his master Albertus Magnus.
pikesteriff71

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished this.Epic account of one of the bloodiest battles of the 19th century.Ultra violence of the British French and Prussian armies raging on multiple fronts using cannon,Howitzer,roundshot,muskets,sabres and bayonets.
Full of battle maps and paintings depicting portraits and key moments along with diary excerpts/letters written by Wellington,Napoleon and soldiers who survived.Men cut in half from cannonball or limbs shot away.Horses with their legs blown off still desperately trying to eat the trodden down wheat or rye where they lay.Cornwell gives you all the gruesome detail and atmosphere and puts you right there in the middle of it.Recommended.
Also picked up his latest one Fools and Mortals but im only a couple of chapters in.
DEBEEST

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently reading The Malazan Book Of The Fallen series by Steven Erikson. I'm at the ending of book 3 'Memories of Ice'. I highly recommend this series if you want a complex, sorcerous and often brutal high fantasy series. It feels like such a wide scope of characters, timeframes, ... The writer really makes you work for it, nothing is given and plot twists slowly build up with much confusion added to the mix. As said, quite extremely complex, the sort of stuff you might want to read twice. (excuses if maybe some might have mentioned these before, not going to scroll through the whole thread)

Burton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent series. All other fantasy pales in comparison. Finishing them all is a huge undertaking as its so extremely complex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next
Page 90 of 94

Jump to: