P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

New Destroyer 666 track!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish they would have kept the sound they had on the Satanic Speed Metal EP.
vorfeed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This record seems like a rather obvious followup to Terror Abraxas to me. Personally, I was always really into the epic side of this band, so I like the songs on this record just fine, though I must admit that the production goes a long way toward ruining it. The guitar sound is poor -- it's too clean for this band, yet also hard to make out half the time, how'd they manage that? -- and the vocals should have been a lot higher in the mix. Between the echo effect on the vocals and the crowded mix, it's hard to understand most of what KK is saying on this record, which is a fuckin' shame considering how meaningful this band's lyrics are. The production on Terror Abraxas suits this band much better! Oh, well. Hopefully they'll tour.

Maybe after a few more spins it'll sink in despite the production. A Stand Defiant, A Path To Conflict, and A Sermon To The Dead are killer songs, at any rate.
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it sounds good, a logical progression, but for me also, the most exciting moment for D666 was 'Unchain The Wolves'. I was totally blown away the first time I heard that album and though some of it seems kinda filler 10 or so years later, the spirit and energy is still without peer.

Practically, they are a different band in terms of personnel and much of that epic magic came from Phil Gresik (Long Voyage Back ex Hobbs). I think Cos from GOTH's drumming style also helped 'Wolves' with that bastardly rough as guts sound. It was just a certain something that clicked for them.

Also, living apart as they do now probably won't help. Good for spontaneity, sure, but I think that crafted music doesn't always benefit so well from that. it works well with perhaps more "experimental" stuff... and I only mean that relative to what D666 are doing. Not comparing them to BDN or SPK or something here
Then the devil must...

http://www.blackmetalrevolution.com/preview.html
http://www.blackmetalrevolution.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/bmrevolution
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I have an excellent condi copy of 'Terror Abraxas' MLP for trade if anyone is interested... PM me!
Then the devil must...

templedclxvi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason this reminds me of "...for victory" bolt thrower. i still think 'violence is the prince of this world' is their best stuff.
karimlan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well I relented and downloaded it and I'm sure glad I did coz this is fucking good.
Bestial Aggressor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this track, metal to the bone. The entire album kills from what I remember, bring it on!
S. Berserker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they sold out as soon as they did the demo.
Blood and Thunder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Berserker wrote:

HA HA, classic!

BTW, saw Paul last nite and got your split 7". Order was wrong though. Assaulter should have been on the front!
Then the devil must...

vugelnox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This album sounds killer to me although its more then a little pointless to compare this to Violence or Unchain-era D666. Firstly the entire lineup aside from KK is different. Then as was mentioned none of the members live near to each other making impromptu jam sessions impossible. Finally as obvious as it is to say the band is in a totally different space musically now then they were over ten years ago. I'll agree Unchain is a stronger album but its apples and oranges.

I'd consider D666 to be in the same boat as the likes of Deceased as well as the 80s output of both Bathory and Voivod. The bands went through a gradual but very considerable stylistic shift and you'll always have the background din of folks shouting the early stuff is better (and truthfully it usually is) but the later stuff ruled as well. I'll take both Luck of the Corpse and As the Weird Travel On, War & Pain and Nothingface and The Return and Hammerheart.
vorfeed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I listen to this, the more I can't believe that this is the final mix. There's a really strong record struggling to be heard under this gauzy production; hopefully the final product will be different...? If not, that's a travesty.
Pazuzu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Berserker wrote:

Heavy metal jumped the shark after Venom released their classic Demon demo in 1980. Everything since then has been complete shite. Smile
"Order From Chaos, this band knows how to metal and they know how to satan and they most definitely know how to arghgh. It dosen't suck dick and thats why faggots don't like them. I have entered the stillbirth machine, I suggest you cum too."
Pazuzu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vugelnox wrote:
This album sounds killer to me although its more then a little pointless to compare this to Violence or Unchain-era D666. Firstly the entire lineup aside from KK is different. Then as was mentioned none of the members live near to each other making impromptu jam sessions impossible. Finally as obvious as it is to say the band is in a totally different space musically now then they were over ten years ago. I'll agree Unchain is a stronger album but its apples and oranges.

I'd consider D666 to be in the same boat as the likes of Deceased as well as the 80s output of both Bathory and Voivod. The bands went through a gradual but very considerable stylistic shift and you'll always have the background din of folks shouting the early stuff is better (and truthfully it usually is) but the later stuff ruled as well. I'll take both Luck of the Corpse and As the Weird Travel On, War & Pain and Nothingface and The Return and Hammerheart.

I can agree with this assessment. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Simple.
"Order From Chaos, this band knows how to metal and they know how to satan and they most definitely know how to arghgh. It dosen't suck dick and thats why faggots don't like them. I have entered the stillbirth machine, I suggest you cum too."
In Solitude

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vorfeed wrote:
The more I listen to this, the more I can't believe that this is the final mix. There's a really strong record struggling to be heard under this gauzy production; hopefully the final product will be different...? If not, that's a travesty.

I agree there, but I love this album, just heard it today. Every track on "Defiance" would be the stand-out anthem track on any other extreme Metal album. How people don't like this is beyond me, but I guess they're only comparing, instead of listening.

My guess is this will be hated and questioned, then lauded as a milestone in a couple months, just like a few other relatively recent releases.
vugelnox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vorfeed wrote:

I can agree somewhat with the production qualms. When I purchased the Razor of Occam album I had a similar thought in that the overall sound was very clear but yet it was a little difficult to discern many exact details, especially with the guitars/solos in that albums case. It didn't ruin it, more of a constant but minor annoyance if anything but I was able to mess with the EQ settings a little and that helped.

I guess it would be overly pickly to wish these two albums in question had the same style of production that the Nocturnal Graves album had. Now THAT was just about as good as you could ask for, everything very clear, suitably raw and with a perfect oldschool analog feel to it. Wouldn't change a damn thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: