P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Listening before buying
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kosmas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 24 and I've been downloading the last 5-6 years.
It has helped me a lot.I've checked things before buying
and I also have listened to music difficult to find.
Conservationist
banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Listening before buying Reply with quote

Candlemass wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I am not an MP3 collector, and actually I've foolishly bashed this format for years, but what a great tool they are, mostly for my wallet. I no longer waste hundreds of bucks on total shit records, wondering what does this band sound like based on the cover pic alone.

Reminds me of this:

Quote:

Our Mission and Stance on Copyrighted MP3s

* Mission

Our mission is to spread the best of underground metal and to bury the worst. We call this musical natural selection.
* Natural Selection

We upload music so you can pick only the best to buy. This starves bad musicians and bad labels, letting only the strong survive, which in turn strengthens metal music and the metal subculture.

* Stance on Copyright

It is not our goal to help the piracy of mainstream music. In underground metal, where 1000 CDs sold is a big seller, the biggest thread is listeners not getting to hear the music they might want to buy. We do not tolerate mainstream uploads and we do not support MP3 trading at high rates; our goal is to get listeners a chance to listen to music so they don't buy crap and weaken the genre.

Have fun and don't get AIDS!

Seems to save a lot of people from buying weak metal. It saved me from Trivium.

Last edited by Conservationist on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Kosmas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Listening before buying Reply with quote

Conservationist wrote:
Seems to save a lot of people from buying weak metal. It saved me from Trivium.

hahaha Laughing
Caina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh_gei_Master wrote:
I listen a lot of new (for me that is) interesting music on Myspace and Youtube and if it's real good i'll buy their album(s). Never download.

This. There's plenty of ways to check out new music without being a parasite. The only instance where I download 'free-of-charge' is if I have something on vinyl and want to listen to it on my mp3 player, or if it's a band sanctioned download.

www.myspace.com/cainaband
http://www.last.fm/user/WilburWhateley

Good traders/sellers: Yosuke, Grief, s.charlach x2, Blekt , headnhalf x2, destrucSEAN, Sadovahr x3, GROUND ZERO Entertainment, Ykh
BreedingtheSpawn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheo wrote:
I always listen to something before I buy it... I don't have much money, so I cannot afford buying shit records or hunting something. I need to get a job Smile

Mp3 format is great for situations like mine, but I have some friends that go crazy about hard disk malfunction that erased their 14GB music collection! I hate that... and I hate those wannabe rockers and metallers that get all crazy about downloading entire discography. they never buy anything

Yep. I usually download the whole album and listen to it before I decide to buy it. There is to many bad releases being put out for me to waste money on when I can take the money and purchase an album worth the money spent on it. There are also many times when I just listen to one song from an album and make a purchase.
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local record store dealer knows my tastes better than I do.
Each week I go to the store, he has a recommendation and has never let me down.
He has some turntable listening sections so I go there for a minute and if it's good I buy it.
In these shitty economic times I don't buy as much.
I don't, and never will own an I-pod and think it's a great idea for those that like them, but nothing
beats the old fashioned record store.
Demoniarch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will blindly buy any 'new' album from a band I am currently already familiar with without hesitation.
I check out new bands myspaces all the time. Never buy anything new now without checking them out first.
Valan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliogabalus wrote:
but nothing
beats the old fashioned record store.

We used to have quite a few great record stores around where I lived, and they were quite happy to let you listen to albums to make your mind up whether to buy or not (anyone from the UK remember that massive one in Manchester, I think it was called replay records...heaven), unfortunately all ended up shutting down. I spent most of the mid to late 90's buying albums based on a few reviews or just random purchases..I ended up with a lot of crap!
When I got online I went demented! Bought tons of stuff (a lot of crap still, but some great stuff too), and subsequently now I always try before I buy, money is tight so I have to be pretty picky. Plus I download a hell of a lot of demo stuff that I never got back in the day, it would be nice to have some of the original tapes of some of the old DM bands I've discovered, but the majority are sold for ridiculous prices on ebay.
passetiermes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned to like myspace...mainly because of techinal problems I never bother downloading music.
There's so many bands out there that I've never heard anything about. That makes buying without hearing totally out of the question. Takes away some of the "magic", but I rather live with that than pay post to deliver crap to my door.
In Solitude

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I download before I buy. I've gotten ahead of myself though, so I have a huge CD collection, and a huge mp3 collection hah. I support record stores, and I always want the physical product with artwork, etc. Mp3s are nothing but air, and they can be gone in an instant.
Reaper's Grave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. Some bands are consistent enough to buy either way. Some releases I've been trying to get hold of lately are 7'' EP releases so they're not common to find mp3's or samples of, especially splits. Previewing is good. Mp3's are fine too, as long as people don't try to make themselves seem superior because of them.
Too Dark Park

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werewolf wrote:
Ov korpse, myspace and mp3 blogs are useful tools when it comes to bands I have no idea how they sound.

Seconded. This is a must as when you have a mortgage and a family to support you don't have the funds to purchase some thing your never going to listen to.
willtopower

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

up until about a year and a half ago all I did was download, mainly because I didn't work. now that I've had a job all my money has gone to buying cd's tapes and vinyls, and I'm broke because of it. but even still, there is so much out there that is good that I haven't got. I don't think that it's fair to deprive someone of music just because he/she doesn't have the money to buy every single release. I hold no qualms about downloading because I spend more than enough on cd's and if I had more, I would spend more. I won't deny myself the pleasure of good releases I don't have (whether oop or mainstream), just because I don't have the funds to pay for it. Of course I will try to get around to buying what I enjoy but there will always be things that I enjoy and that I don't have enough money for.
DAWNBRINGER

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I constantly go to Record Land(a local place) and blindly purchase things! It's a great way to find gems!! I discovered Weapon there 4 years ago when I picked up Within The Flesh on tape for 5 bucks there!
Son of Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a poor fuck so the brunt of my music collection is in mp3 format but I get what you mean 100%. I dont think I've ever bought an album without sampling the actual album or band prior. The select few times I have usually ended up badily with me buying a 20 dollar useless peice of shit. Even though I wish I had a dazzling tape/vinyl collection life expenses usually get in the way of it ever happening . Crying or Very sad Myspace has also become one of the greatest tools any music fan could dream of I dont go a single week without finding 2-3 new bands to follow. Its really fucking great to see the amount of quality metal still being made throught the world Cool .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: