P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Listening before buying
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Candlemass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Listening before buying Reply with quote

Is there anybody left who blindly purchases stuff like it had to be done back in the pre-MP3 era?

Don't get me wrong, I am not an MP3 collector, and actually I've foolishly bashed this format for years, but what a great tool they are, mostly for my wallet. I no longer waste hundreds of bucks on total shit records, wondering what does this band sound like based on the cover pic alone.

Collecting mp3s surely is gay, but so is the "I will NEVER, under any circumstances listen to an mp3 before buying, because I'm richer than Bill Gates and only tape is real". Jeez, now I realize what a 15 year old-douché I sounded like when bashing this format. Confused
Hrafnsskuggi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the artist. If it's a band I am very fond of I'll catch the new record without listening to it beforehand. But if it comes to more obscure ones or records from the 1990ties I don't know, I try to get hold of the mp3s. If I like it, I try to catch the vinyl edition and if not I delete the files.
I agree that mp3 is useful in order to save some money which would have been spent on shitty records otherwise. Myspace is also a good source of information. However, I reckon that it is only useful to check what kind of music the artist plays.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Listening before buying Reply with quote

Candlemass wrote:
Is there anybody left who blindly purchases stuff like it had to be done back in the pre-MP3 era?

Don't get me wrong, I am not an MP3 collector, and actually I've foolishly bashed this format for years, but what a great tool they are, mostly for my wallet. I no longer waste hundreds of bucks on total shit records, wondering what does this band sound like based on the cover pic alone.

Collecting mp3s surely is gay, but so is the "I will NEVER, under any circumstances listen to an mp3 before buying, because I'm richer than Bill Gates and only tape is real". Jeez, now I realize what a 15 year old-douché I sounded like when bashing this format. Confused

Yes I still blindly purchase a lot. If I don't like it, then it goes on the trade list. Couldn't care less about other people's opinions but I still view downloading as something for people without self control or respect. Sure I have an ipod, but everything on it came from cds.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also add that is why I support Myspace because it enables people to sample new music without downloading.
Candlemass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Listening before buying Reply with quote

The_Elite wrote:

Yes I still blindly purchase a lot. If I don't like it, then it goes on the trade list. Couldn't care less about other people's opinions but I still view downloading as something for people without self control or respect. Sure I have an ipod, but everything on it came from cds.

Do you consider tape trading also for people without self control or respect? I mean, people could wait until the desired record/demo pops up on ebay or something instead of listening to a tape/cdr copy. Also, shouldn't a tape/cdr copy of a certain record be considered 'disrespectful' by that logic?

I'm not bashing your opinion or anything. Actually I used to think like that, kind of.
CR99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have the money and feel like it I buy stuff off ebay that looks cool when it's for 1€ or the like. Got me some real gems like the first Rhymes Of Destruction demo.
The_Elite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is in regard to NEW albums by current bands.
mental necrosis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Listening before buying Reply with quote

Candlemass wrote:

Seconded.
TheUnborn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days samples, reviews and reliable recommendations are more than enough for me.
I don't want to spoil the whole excitement with a new album by downloading it before
I put the actual CD/LP on.
Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ov korpse, myspace and mp3 blogs are useful tools when it comes to bands I have no idea how they sound.

Regressive Rape MetalPunk: WWW.HEINOUS.BANDCAMP.COM
adrian5118

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's also nice that some people who buy mostly limited formats listen to the release first so if they think it's shit, someone else who appreciates the release they would have blindly purchased way more, would buy it. I try to be conscientious on limited releases in that sense, and "try-before-I-buy".
http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=840646#840646
Teh_gei_Master

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen a lot of new (for me that is) interesting music on Myspace and Youtube and if it's real good i'll buy their album(s). Never download.

Sometimes if there is a band that is really interesting and people are saying good things about them it's really exciting to go and buy their record without never hearing the band before. Sure you can listen the band for the first time on internetand that's quite exciting too but it really isn't the same.
dalecooper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't listen to whole albums but I always listen to samples and one or two full tracks before buying. I could count my actual blind (or deaf) purchases from the last year on one hand. And in all those cases the album was super highly recommended, and cheap.
SepticSchizo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a band I havent heard before, I look for info on metal-archives, and check out theyre eventual myspace page. If they dont have that I trust reviews. No sample- No info- No review- No buy!

I dont even know how to download torrents etc.
VATRA I SUMPOR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always listen to something before I buy it... I don't have much money, so I cannot afford buying shit records or hunting something. I need to get a job Smile

Mp3 format is great for situations like mine, but I have some friends that go crazy about hard disk malfunction that erased their 14GB music collection! I hate that... and I hate those wannabe rockers and metallers that get all crazy about downloading entire discography. they never buy anything
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: