P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Listening To Bass Heavy Metal on iPod
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ross Liew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Listening To Bass Heavy Metal on iPod Reply with quote

Anyone have any problems listening to metal on their iPods?

I have a nano (the square one) and i find it lacking in bass reproduction and when volume is cranked up, the sound gets distorted. This happens especially to albums like Necrophobic's Hrimthirsum.

I tried using "Rock" setting on the EQ and bass becomes lacking. If I change it to "Bass Booster", the sound gets muted.

Anyone face similar issues with the iPods? Any suggested solutions? Am wondering if it's the fault of the iPod or the in-ear earphones i use - Sony. Thanks.
CR99

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all about the earphones

these right?
get rid of them

Last edited by CR99 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Devoured Death

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Zune rather than an iPod, but I've never had any problems like this. I can't see that there should be any problem with the actual iPod reproducing the sound (unless everything is ripped as low quality files?) - it's most likely to be your earphones. I have had plenty of cheap earphones in the past which all start to distort or sound tinny when they've had their time. I bought a really good pair for about 35 over two years ago and I've never had a problem with them. Unfortunately I've lost the box they came in, and they're not branded on the actual earphones so I couldn't tell you what they were.
Ross Liew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can;t be it. I also have a Sony walkman which has a customizable EQ and CLear Bass technology. Use Sony ear-phones which have buds on them and the music, no matter how loud does not sound distorted.

I'm thinking iPods are created for listeners of regular Top 40s music, R&B, hip-hop, glam rock and such but not brutal death/black metal.
Heliogabalus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are these I-pod machines you speak of? Confused
dronevil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONT use eq's in ipod, the sound would clip. get a pair of bass-heavy headphones, the headphones came with ipod are not even useable imo...

ipod dont color the sound as much as the other mp3 players do, so it might sound like it's lack of bass. but i think that's actually the best part of it because you can customize the sound as you want it by using different headphones.
Ross Liew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then we'd have to own several pairs of earphones! Other than the simplicity of use of the iPod and iTunes, i think the sound is really inferior to other mp3 players out there, especially for heavy music IMO.
dronevil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross Liew wrote:
Then we'd have to own several pairs of earphones! Other than the simplicity of use of the iPod and iTunes, i think the sound is really inferior to other mp3 players out there, especially for heavy music IMO.

in my case i have 4 headphones, from the cheap $10 ones to the slightly expensive $150 ones, in your case all you need is a super bassy one and you are set.
Ross Liew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...are the Bose in-ear 'phones any good for base or are they basically for hi-fidelity music? I've seen some super pricey Monster earphones, which are designed by Dr Dre! Must be suited to bass-thumping hip hop music..reckon these will work fine for metal?
SepticSchizo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Koss porta pro headphones, wich are pretty fairpriced, they give good bass and sound alltogether.

Offtopic: buying an Ipod is probably the most stupid choice Ive done when it comes to music, not because it sounds bad, cuz it doesnt, but all these license bullshit and copyprotection makes it a shitty deal. Seems that Apple are more out to protect corporate laws than offering good products to consumers. I had a zenplayer before, and no such licencing shit , and trouble transfering songs from player to different pc`s and such.
dronevil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross Liew wrote:
Hmm...are the Bose in-ear 'phones any good for base or are they basically for hi-fidelity music? I've seen some super pricey Monster earphones, which are designed by Dr Dre! Must be suited to bass-thumping hip hop music..reckon these will work fine for metal?

havent used bose ones myself, i used to have a shure e2 and the bass is pretty good, but it was broken after a year cuz the cable wasnt very good, they've improved the cable nowadays appearntly so it still should be a safe choice.
i'm using a sennheiser cx300 with my ipod now and it's pretty good, if you have some spare money maybe you can even get a cx500, they dont have it here so i had to get the cx300.
Ross Liew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...have to check out those Sennheisers then. Reading up on some reviews bout earphones now. Thanks, mate.
Opolus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's it with those "iPods" anyway! When did the classic "Walkman" become unfashionable!! Fuck that plastic crap, put tapes in your Sony or simply FUCK OFF!!
CraiGORE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opolus wrote:
What's it with those "iPods" anyway! When did the classic "Walkman" become unfashionable!! Fuck that plastic crap, put tapes in your Sony or simply FUCK OFF!!

Wow, lol!!!!11. you're so old skool!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111
Pro Abortion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Listening To Bass Heavy Metal on iPod Reply with quote

Ross Liew wrote:
Anyone have any problems listening to metal on their iPods?

I have a nano (the square one) and i find it lacking in bass reproduction and when volume is cranked up, the sound gets distorted. This happens especially to albums like Necrophobic's Hrimthirsum.

I tried using "Rock" setting on the EQ and bass becomes lacking. If I change it to "Bass Booster", the sound gets muted.

Anyone face similar issues with the iPods? Any suggested solutions? Am wondering if it's the fault of the iPod or the in-ear earphones i use - Sony. Thanks.

Try "Acoustic," "Classical," and "Piano" EQs. Every album is different, so I wouldn't just stick with one of those for everything. Bouncing around between those three is probably the best you can do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: