P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Brütal Legend
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wraith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomOTO wrote:
Anyway, metal's mainstream popularity goes in cycles.

Correct. I remember quite well in 1992 or so, when Death Metal was huge trend, you could read about Obituary in some Teenie-Fanzines like BRAVO (dunno if this exists in other parts of the world) right next to the New Kids on the Block. So what? I don't share my music with other people.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for starters, I doubt "emo" people will do enough digging to discover Warning in the first place and the music is massively heavy and slow and long songs. If I remember right a lot of modern emo is still quite 'sunny' and still upbeat and fast.

Also worth pointing out, an emo or metalcore freak may discover Disforterror but bets on they don't like it. I've shown some real extreme stuff to some of these kids and they can't stand it.

Also I would never stop listening to metal if it became big. Perhaps I should have included a smilie to indicate that I wasn't being entirely serious with my last point, though I like that stuff anyway. I still listen to Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum despite their popularity. Same applies to earlier Metallica material, Iron Maiden, just as I like more popular accepted music like The Smiths, Joy Division, The Cure etc.

However I resent the idea of being associated with the same little pricks who go for Killswitch Engay, Avenged Sevenfold or whatever because of a certain dress sense.
vorfeed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:
At the end of the day it'll open the doors for some people and they will stick to it for the long haul. The others will 'grow out of it'.

This says it all. Metal always needs new blood, to carry the banner forward twenty years from now... and I'd wager very few of us started on the deep end of the pool, so to speak. Commercialized metal is always a gateway to deeper things for some; for the rest, it's just a brief stop on the road to the next fad.

I think the time is ripe for a new wave of metal youth, and if this game helps attract them, I'm all for it. Tons of kids'll be hearing stuff like Brocas Helm, Angel Witch, Emperor, and Rotting Christ for the first time, and that is nothing but a good thing.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda started out in the deep end. I listened to only classical and whatever my parents listened to ......... until we moved and I became friends with our neighbor who was a few years older than me who let me borrow his "Altars of Madness" cd because I thought the cover and logo were cool....it was all downhill from there !!!

I never had a Pantera (thank satan) or Metallica phase to introduce me to metal like a lot people I know did.
PhantomOTO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:
Well for starters, I doubt "emo" people will do enough digging to discover Warning in the first place and the music is massively heavy and slow and long songs. If I remember right a lot of modern emo is still quite 'sunny' and still upbeat and fast.

As far as digging goes, it hardly takes any to find out about a band. As far as liking it, well, who can say for sure? If an "emo" kid wants "emo" lyrics, he might get used to Warning's music for them. Wink

Quote:
Also worth pointing out, an emo or metalcore freak may discover Disforterror but bets on they don't like it. I've shown some real extreme stuff to some of these kids and they can't stand it.

I used Disforterror mostly for the sake of example to illustrate that it's easier for fans of mainstream music to penetrate underground music now. Back then, finding Metallica wasn't hard, but going further might have been. Going from popular metalcore to Disforterror is a much bigger leap, and as I said already, easier to do.

Quote:
Also I would never stop listening to metal if it became big. Perhaps I should have included a smilie to indicate that I wasn't being entirely serious with my last point, though I like that stuff anyway. I still listen to Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum despite their popularity. Same applies to earlier Metallica material, Iron Maiden, just as I like more popular accepted music like The Smiths, Joy Division, The Cure etc.

Well, good. I didn't think you were completely serious, but I felt compelled to comment on the idea, as it just seemed so absurd.

Quote:
However I resent the idea of being associated with the same little pricks who go for Killswitch Engay, Avenged Sevenfold or whatever because of a certain dress sense.

I don't think that will really happen, unless you're shopping at Hot Topic to begin with. Razz 20 years ago, would someone have confused a glam fan with a thrash fan because of their attire? 10 years ago, would someone have confused a nu metal fan with a black/death fan because of their attire? I don't think that's changed, as trends in underground music-related clothing are still pretty far apart from trends in mainstream music-related clothing. And even if metalcore or "emo" people decide to try out vests with patches or whatever (which are getting trendy again among metal fans anyway, it seems), I still think there would be enough differences for anyone in the know to see who's who.

Last edited by PhantomOTO on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
vorfeed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blodhemn9 wrote:
I kinda started out in the deep end. I listened to only classical and whatever my parents listened to ......... until we moved and I became friends with our neighbor who was a few years older than me who let me borrow his "Altars of Madness" cd because I thought the cover and logo were cool....it was all downhill from there !!!

I never had a Pantera (thank satan) or Metallica phase to introduce me to metal like a lot people I know did.

Yeah. I'm not saying this doesn't happen, just that it doesn't always (or even usually) work this way. Commercial stuff like Headbanger's Ball, the local heavy metal/hard rock radio station, etc were very important vectors for metal around the same time... and they probably introduced a lot more people to metal than any number of next-door neighbors could have.

If games like Rock Band and Brutal Legend work the same way -- and I suspect they will -- that's probably a good thing.
adrian5118

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warp Zone wrote:
The game is from the same guy that did Grim Fandango. It's gonna be fun.

Really? Shit, I'm going to have to play it now. That is one of my all time favorite video games.
Nuclear Blasphemer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being told by an emo I was insulting "I don't like your music, all the bands on your jacket do some "beuaaargh music" ", so I even if a loser listening to poor and shitty music can easily listen to some underground bands, he'll probably never actually like it...
Incinerator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick to Fallout 3
THRASHEADEREK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to say that most of the trendfags who will be listening to this metal soundtrack might enjoy some of the music, but will they really start to purchase the music, or will they download everything they like? I say the latter.
And will they really get into true underground stuff, or will they be satisfied with just scratching the surface? Once again, I say the latter.

I'm fifteen years old, and got into metal without the help of some stupid video game, I'd be pretty sad to see other kids wearing metal shirts at my school because they were exposed through something like this.
Skoll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:
neo-folk, noise, power electronics, neo-classical, martial etc. Seriously doubt that'll EVER be big considering its promotion of controversial ideals such as traditionalism, Nietzscheanism,

Who knows? Nietzsche is pretty trendy in a lot of circles as it is...

PhantomOTO wrote:
I can see "emo" people liking Warning.

Same here, seems it's for emotional 13 year old girls to mope around to after breaking up with their internet boyfriends.

PhantomOTO wrote:
Anyway, if you're so self-conscious about metal being underground that you's start listening to other music more because too many people were getting into metal, you're a trend-hopping poser to the core and should just get the fuck out now.

Indeed, if you're letting what other people do and listen to determine your choices then you're as bad as the other sheep. Not really directed at anyone but there are those who think and act in such ways.
Skoll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is a giant waste of time.

Last edited by Skoll on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morbid69

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone notice it looks like a really shitty game?
Evil_Johnny_666

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THRASHEADEREK wrote:
I'd like to say that most of the trendfags who will be listening to this metal soundtrack might enjoy some of the music, but will they really start to purchase the music, or will they download everything they like? I say the latter.
And will they really get into true underground stuff, or will they be satisfied with just scratching the surface? Once again, I say the latter.

I'm fifteen years old, and got into metal without the help of some stupid video game, I'd be pretty sad to see other kids wearing metal shirts at my school because they were exposed through something like this.

... why not? You have to discover metal one way or the other, and you won't necessarily start off with Blasphemy. I think the first bands I listened to were CoF, Quo Vadis, Cryptopsy, Dark Tranquillity and In Flames. And it was because I discovered The Metal Observer by pure luck on a Rammstein forum because some people were searching for Russian bands, and at one point discovered Metal Archives. If no close friend, neighbour, a song you heard on the radio or the likes makes you discover metal, and if it has not to be Guitar Hero or Brutal Legend, how are you going to? I mean, if you start off with KSE, that doesn't mean you won't be interested in digging some more metal and obscure stuff, you have to start somewhere.
THRASHEADEREK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil_Johnny_666 wrote:
THRASHEADEREK wrote:

... why not? You have to discover metal one way or the other, and you won't necessarily start off with Blasphemy. I think the first bands I listened to were CoF, Quo Vadis, Cryptopsy, Dark Tranquillity and In Flames. And it was because I discovered The Metal Observer by pure luck on a Rammstein forum because some people were searching for Russian bands, and at one point discovered Metal Archives. If no close friend, neighbour, a song you heard on the radio or the likes makes you discover metal, and if it has not to be Guitar Hero or Brutal Legend, how are you going to? I mean, if you start off with KSE, that doesn't mean you won't be interested in digging some more metal and obscure stuff, you have to start somewhere.

Actually, I discovered metal through reading(my other main passion, along with collecting/reading comics). There is a book called Sound of the Beast, written by Ian Christe, and my school library had it. I think I was in 5th grade, and at that point was getting into Megadeth and Metallica(prior to this it was AC/DC, Pink Floyd, The Who etc.) I checked the book out, and was memerized by the stories that were told(especially the Norway BM stories) This prompted me to start trolling around and listening to so many of the bands that were mentioned in it. I loved that book so much that I stole it from the school.

I guess I'm wondering how many people will really and truly become genuine metalheads because of one video game, compared to my experiences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: