P R O D U C T I O N S

FAQ 
 Search 
 Memberlist 
 Usergroups 
 Register 

Swedish Death Metal (the book)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wraith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:
No I understand perfectly what you're trying to say, but really if you don't want a social history then don't read it. It was written by outsiders most likely for outsiders.

Ok, but why you say that I have a crack on it? None of my words proof that, I just said that I wish there is a book that is in the same vein like SDM. That leads us to this:

Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:

Having said that I would like someone to give black metal a similar focus that these Swedish death metal books have, but which scene do you cover? I mean there is a large Eastern European scene, Finland and Sweden have large scenes (left out Norway as I'm bored of people going about that country and for the most part they're not producing many bands these days anyway. Plus we all know about it...) Sweden and Finland were quite distinctive and well thought of when it came to death metal. Black metal however is a bit more difficult from what I can gather.

Yes, nothing new here. It would be nice just to cover 90ies-BM in a global manner.
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'd need to be of Encyclopedic proportions to do it justice. Wink
Wraith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nekrokunt_Usurper wrote:
I think it'd need to be of Encyclopedic proportions to do it justice. Wink

I agree on that. (now we talk the same language)

BTW: Is the forum a bit slow today?
Nekrokunt_Usurper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems there have been one or two problems here and there.
darksymphonies

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: swedish death Reply with quote

manes wrote:
those are 2 different books which treat the Swedish death metal under two different sides, they can be complementary. One can't say which one is better due to this fact, Nicola anyway wrote an excellent book which just deals with the demo period of time of the multiple bands, showing to the whole world pics of his immense collection with a kinda fanzine format. We are talking about a man, an Italian man, who has been into the scene since the beginning, he is not one of those posers who want to know everything and know nothing not having an idea about it, he is also the man behind Disincarnate comp. so, personally, one who is far ahead of the majority out there.
Both books compliment each other, I prefer Nicola's book because it's great to see so many of these classic bands telling the stories in their own words. Both are needed, but if you only get one, start with Nicola's book IMO.
http://www.darksymphonies.com
Twitter: @darksymphonies

~ DARKAGEPRODUCTIONS ~ The New Home Of Tom Sullivan's The BOOK Of The DEAD
http://www.darkageproductions.com
vugelnox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the best aspects of the Swedish book is the author's decision to focus intensely on purely the early days of the scene and really stopping after the first album from most of the classic bands. That is where the story lies and he fully understand that. Once you get to around 1994 most of these bands were already on their 2nd or 3rd album and also-rans were beginning to creep up. That and giving a nod to newer bands who were worth a damn like Kaamos or Repugnant.
GoldenBull

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody just needs to put out a DECENT "Heavy Metal Encyclopedia" to knock those worthless ones you find at Borders off the shelves.
ticino1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While reading the book I was deceived by the lack of objectivity of the author. He quotes people without presenting the opinion of the other part. I am glad of selling the book after use.
vugelnox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ticino1 wrote:
While reading the book I was deceived by the lack of objectivity of the author. He quotes people without presenting the opinion of the other part. I am glad of selling the book after use.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean with "without presenting the opinion of the other part". Do you mean dissenting opinions to quotes that are used or additional quotes used to back up the stories provided?
ticino1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vugelnox wrote:
ticino1 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean with "without presenting the opinion of the other part". Do you mean dissenting opinions to quotes that are used or additional quotes used to back up the stories provided?

He quotes somebody telling how bad und ugly somebody else was, without quoting the "bad and ugly" person. I think it should be a must.
blodhemn9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caina wrote:
The problem with Lords of Chaos is that it fails both as a social history, an analysis of the genre and an introduction to n00comers. It's essentially a pisspoor true-crime book with some pretentious and incongruous psychoanalytic essays shoved in it at random. However, I still prefer it to 'Choosing Death', the book essentially postulating that Napalm Death are the most important band in the history of music, to the extent that they have to be mentioned at least twelve times on every fucking page. Honestly, if he wanted to write about ND, why didn't he just write it about them?!

I don't think Lords of Chaos fails at being an introduction to newcomers.... I think thats the one thing it succeeds at. I lent the book to a few people that didn't know anything about black metal (were more into death metal) when it came out, and the book acted as a gateway. They picked up everything they could from the bands mentioned in the book, and are now very into black metal (and have moved waaay beyond the few bands mentioned in the book, and gotten into the swedish/french/finnish/german etc...scenes).

Despite its MANY flaws, it is a good way to introduce some classic bands to people, and it's up to them if they get deeper into it.
HotBlack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great book! I bought it recently myself. He kinda rehashes a lot of stuff in each chapter but a great read none the less. The band index in the back is also very handy.
Reed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the book was awesome. Now if only I could find out where it is in my house.... Mad
s.charlach

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*answered*

Last edited by s.charlach on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arkangellus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone needs to make a thorough book about the 'ancient' bands to push the line of extremity from maybe early 80s to mid 80s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nuclear War Now! Productions Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: